Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you sure that's a good idea with that monocoque? hate to see someone stuck and pull the subframe right off...

With that unibody, you might be better to spend the money on a AAA membership or something. :laugh:

I am in the ever shrinking camp of those who believe that the Land Rover engineers who desigened and built it might have thought of that one before fitting an accessory 10K lbs Warn winch to the Defender.'s front end. I realize that, these days, there are countless forum experts with cautionary tales based on their long experience dissecting a YouTube video of a crossovers having its guts ripped off by a yahoo with a tow strap and a muddy pickup truck with 37" super swampers, but I'd like to give Land Rover the benefit of the doubt.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like spacers / offset for rear 18" wheel. The track of the front and rear are now different.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, i missed somewhere along the way that it was a unibody only. I thought it was IBF
:(

It keeps going downhill for me.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover switched to a unibody lightweight aluminum platform (D7u) since the 2013 Range Rover. All of its current big models are based on it: RR, Sport, Disco and Defender. The Defender is using a strengthened version of the platform codenamed D7x.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. It's time for a separate New Defender forum where those of us that like and/or ordered one can move on. D5 owners have their own forum where they can discuss the D5 without abuse from LR4 members. New Defender owners will need the same.
100% agree. This has become a thread of people crapping on other people's decisions which is extremely unusual in this forum.

If you aren't buying a Defender and/or don't like it, then don't fricking buy one, but there's no need to keep dumping on people who are making their own decisions with their own money for their own reasons.

If you ARE buying one, I personally would LOVE to hear why and what your experiences are once you get them.

It does seem weird to me that there is only one Defender sub-forum and it is of course mostly dedicated to the Gen1 not the new Gen2. A new sub-forum for the Gen2 seems like a good option - not sure if anybody knows the forum admins...

Also for those of you who keep proclaiming that Gerry McGovern is a pompous idiot who is running JLR into the ground, the data disagrees. I don't personally like the guy but he's done wonders for their line-up and annual vehicles shipped since rejoining in 2004. So if y'all think you can make a steeper curve, you should get off this forum, fly to India and pitch your services to the Tata Brothers.

873368bf1a6ffe3602ae3afa7634699d.plist

For this chart, the green area uses the L markers. In other words, 2019 was about 94,000 vehicles. That's just the US market.

Chart from https://carsalesbase.com/category/sales-by-brands/land-rover-car-sales/ - I used the US data. The EUR numbers are about 50% higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover switched to a unibody lightweight aluminum platform (D7u) since the 2013 Range Rover. All of its current big models are based on it: RR, Sport, Disco and Defender. The Defender is using a strengthened version of the platform codenamed D7x.

Thanks. didn't know that, and I own a 2016 RR. Don't wheel it at all, so have never really torn into it like I have the LR4.

I'm sure the structure can be engineered to stand up the rigors of hard use. The question becomes, did they?

Time will tell, but I'm guessing it will be fine. According to my Jeep friends, I should already be dead many times over since the LR4 has independent suspension and not live axles. Hasn't exactly worked out that way, and those guys have had to eat some crow over the years.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear rotor is smaller (363 mm 4 piston front, 350 mm single piston rear), so the clearance issue must be a chunky rear caliper. Haven't seen it in the flesh, though.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% agree. This has become a thread of people crapping on other people's decisions which is extremely unusual in this forum.

If you aren't buying a Defender and/or don't like it, then don't fricking buy one, but there's no need to keep dumping on people who are making their own decisions with their own money for their own reasons.

If you ARE buying one, I personally would LOVE to hear why and what your experiences are once you get them.

It does seem weird to me that there is only one Defender sub-forum and it is of course mostly dedicated to the Gen1 not the new Gen2. A new sub-forum for the Gen2 seems like a good option - not sure if anybody knows the forum admins...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, yes, yes we all agree. Take your "Defendre" discussions to the Defender forum where you'll really get your @$& chewed out by actual Defender owners.

The reason people are crapping on it is b/c it is, well, crappy. Sorry. If new "Defendre" owners don't want to hear it, then don't tell anyone on the LR4 forum you bought one. Pretty simple. At least don't tell anyone you paid over $50k for it and for god's sake, if you don't want to get laughed off the planet, don't tell them you paid over $80k for it.

To your last point of it seeming weird that there's no sub forum, I think it's pretty clear the reason why. Nobody over there considers this to be a real Defender. It would be like calling the D5 and LR4. So, there in lies the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM