Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that they will probably appeal to different crowds, but everyone can clearly see the Bronco takes advantage of the fact that LR has abandoned its traditional base.
(Heartbreaking for long-standing enthusiasts like us) And at the end of the day I can see Bronco clobbering Defender in sales and revenue.

I’m just not sure Defender will deliver the business success that LR desperately needs

Ford makes mistakes all the time but when it comes to truck they’ve got their **** together and always play to win.

Funny to See GM not even show up to the party...

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For all you DeMuro's lovers. He does talk about the market competition for the new Bronco, and correctly points out - in my opinion, anyway - that the new Defender ain't it:

I don't know, this new Bronco has been so hyped up on looks, sleek promo videos and paper specs alone, that it's got nowhere to go but down once people start actually driving it and figuring out it's not the miracle cure for the Jeeps and Land Rovers of the world that it's currently cracked up to be.

The salient point to the above is not that Bronco is "not the miracle cure...", it's that most all of us agree that Land Rover does, in fact, need a miracle cure. And to quote the man, "...the new Defender ain't it!"

Oddboy

Reaction score
The primary issue I see is that the Defender starts at $49,000. And that's a *wink wink* $49,000, meaning good luck getting one of these off the lot for less than $60,000 once they're optioned out (appropriately) and have the unnecessary dealer accessories thrown on. The Wrangler Rubicon isn't exactly cheap starting at $43,000, but it's still cheaper over-all. It's cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, easier to source parts for (at-least in the U.S.), has a huge aftermarket, and a far larger community built around it. It also provides unique functionality with removable door/roof - an appealing gimmick that up until now has remained brand unique.

Who the heck is going to buy the Defender? We all know the vast majority of LR customers aren't buying them for their capability; they buy it for the badge. But Land Rover needed the off-road, enthusiast, outdoorsy, or blue collar consumer for this new Defender to work. But consumers have better, far smarter options than the Defender now. The worst part is that Toyota still has the redesigned 4Runner in their back-pocket, and they always come ready to play hardball.

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JLR abandoned it's off-road market segment years ago. We established that when they came out with the D5 rather than a proper replacement for the LR4. MacGovern does not need nor want a blue-collar consumer to buy his products;he is too arrogant for that. The typical Defender buyer will never go off-roading with this vehicle, just as majority of Land Rover vehicles never leave an asphalt road. That is why I don't see the logic for the constant comparison with the Bronco. It's a completely different market.

Oddboy

Reaction score
The typical Defender buyer will never go off-roading with this vehicle, just as majority of Land Rover vehicles never leave an asphalt road. That is why I don't see the logic for the constant comparison with the Bronco. It's a completely different market.

Alright, so what should the Defender be compared to then? The Ford Explorer?

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so what should the Defender be compared to then? The Ford Explorer?

I was referring to the completely different market demographic of the Bronco vs the Defender, not the physical attributes of the two trucks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV