1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Defender hint?

Discussion in 'LR4' started by iSurfvilano, Jun 15, 2018.

1. mpinco

mpinco Full Access Member

Not surprised the Ford Bronco reservation system crashed and burned. Seen that outcome many times. A result of insufficient load testing. Hardly a Ford issue. More a reflection on the IT industry and software management.

2. Jimmy Brooks

Jimmy Brooks Full Access Member

Anyone else see that Jeep just released a concept for a Wrangler with a HEMI V8. Must be their attempt to put the market and news back on them after the bronco. Perhaps this is LRs queue to throw the Supercharged V8 into the Defender?????

3. PaulLR3

PaulLR3 Full Access Member

Not sure if a HEMI V8 and the Wrangler suspension and vague steering is an ideal combination. I recently drove with a friend on a 3 hour trip in his new Sahara. There were strong cross winds and he was constantly wrestling with the steering wheel. Upon arrival he said his arms were exhausted. Although I guess the V8 would provide plenty of rock crawling torque.

4. roverman

roverman Full Access Member

Yeah the last thing I’d want in a wrangler is a Hemi. It’s just not the engine for it. With gearing ratios I always had plenty of torque in my ‘78 Jeep. What was that, about 100 ft lbs? LOL

Edit: Just looked it up, 90 hp and 176 ft lbs. A BEAST!

5. Stuart Barnes

Stuart Barnes Supporting Member Supporting Member

A Hemi with death wobble, no thanks. Would be a great rock crawler though. If you could bring enough fuel.

6. Davidinseattle

Davidinseattle Full Access Member

Exactly, 100% true. Laughing at people who are justifying buying a Defender as their "only" real choice. Too funny. You could buy a D5, a Velar, a RR or whatever other esoteric vehicle JLR makes. They are all the same. It's like Derrick Zoolander's looks.

The design and look and feel of the defender is toy like. The Defender looks like a Chinese knock off of someone else's knock off. This vehicle will be an epic fail. No soccer mom is going to drive this at the price they want with the lack of lux features. NONE by choice. Why? Because, in this price point there are sooooooo many better choices and no soccer mom wants to forgo luxury and conveniences just to drive a Defender; a name they hadn't heard of b4 they walked on a dealer lot to look at a RR.

Anyone who thinks different is drinking kool-aid. Dead after V2 unless there is a major revamp is my prediction.

JLR has lost their way much like BMW. No soul and none of the new lineup evokes and emotional tie. They forgot the basics. Emotion drives purchase, which is why every car commercial you see tries to make an emotional connection.

7. catman

catman Full Access Member

Jimmy Brooks likes this.
  8. mpinco

mpinco Full Access Member

^ This .......... "It will be just like the Blazer" ...... LOL

9. Fuji4

Fuji4 Full Access Member

Suspension. Softness. Articulation. Load leveling. Etc.

10. umbertob

umbertob Full Access Member

For all you DeMuro's lovers. He does talk about the market competition for the new Bronco, and correctly points out - in my opinion, anyway - that the new Defender ain't it:

I don't know, this new Bronco has been so hyped up on looks, sleek promo videos and paper specs alone, that it's got nowhere to go but down once people start actually driving it and figuring out it's not the miracle cure for the Jeeps and Land Rovers of the world that it's currently cracked up to be.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020