Another LR4 Tire Post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregorio

Reaction score
I'm on my second LR4 and 6th set of tires overall. All 255/55R19. 3 sets have been Continental (2 from the factory), 1 Pirelli, 1 Bridgestone and now Michelin. Most of the miles are on dry and wet pavement with a little light snow duty and an occasional trek across well groomed trails. On road performance is key for me. The factory Continentals were adequate but always left me wanting more. The Pirelli and Bridgestone tires were slightly better in harsh conditions and off road but were horribly noisy on the highway. I was not impressed with either. I heard a lot of good things about the new Michelin LTX Premier so I decided to give them a shot. The 60,000 mile treadwear warranty was enough to get me to bite. All of the others averaged 15-18k miles with faithful rotation and alignments 1-2x per year so how could I go wrong?

The tires were installed last week and I hit the road for my normal 350 mile weekend round trip with an equal mix of Interstate (75-85MPH), rural 2 lane state highways (55-70MPH) and mountain roads (35-55MPH). Immediately, my wife and I noticed a huge reduction in cabin noise especially on the freeway. The radio sounded clearer and I now noticed a little air leak on the right rear door that I could not hear before. Conversations with back seat passengers were extremely pleasant, now.

Another big improvement is the handling. The car corners much faster, flatter and with less effort than before. I found that if I was not careful, my corner speeds were higher that my wife's comfort level would allow but not out of control whereas before, I was cornering at the vehicle's limit. Steering response was much more immediate and direct. The big SUV was more sports car like in the way it could be driven deeper into the corner before braking. This was hard to get used to at first because I was always turning in early to compensate for the understear that was always present.

The most confusing thing about this is that given the presumably stiffer sidewall contributing to the much improved handling, I expected the ride to be as harsh as my diesel pickup. To my amazement, it is exactly the opposite. Gone is the wallowy, mushy boat like feeling and in its place is a very tight but more planted and smoother ride. Before, it felt like every bump would result in multiple oscillations through the vehicle especially from side to side, rocking everyone back and forth like rag dolls. Now, the suspension dampens the blows to the vehicle quickly and effectively. I am still trying to wrap my head around how the tires can handle better and ride better at the same time but that is exactly what is happening.

The bottom line is that these are the tires that the LR4 should have come with from the factory. The suspension loves them.

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I have Michelin LTX on both our LR4s and agree with everything you said. Excellent road tire.

But I suspect the intentional shallow tread depth may not be great in snow. I run Nokian winter tires which are great in snow.

Not sure how they will do in sand either. I've got another set of nicely worn Zeons that I will put on my LR4 for beach driving in July, August & September. By fall I'll be tired of the Zeon road noise and be so glad to get the LTX tires back on.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another owner has seen the light... I am on my third LR3/4 and also had many different brands. I was able to snap up a set of Michelin Latitude Tour HPs a few years ago (very similar to the LTX Premier)and I have never looked back. The tire is so much better as you describe. The Tour also had a shallow tread depth but it has been hanging in OK. This third Spring/Summer/Fall is probably their last and will replaced with Premier LTX in the spring.I run the 255/50-20 spring/summer/fall and run 255/55-19s for the winter (Toyo Open Country G-02)

Th

Gregorio

Reaction score
A little update after 1900 miles. I'm starting to notice a little "feathering" on the front tires. The tread blocks on the outside edge of both front tires are not wearing evenly. The leading edge of the block is not the same height as the trailing edge. Not surprising since I've been driving it like a go-kart on the mountain roads these last few weeks! 3000-5000 mile rotations are going to be a necessity.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little update after 1900 miles. I'm starting to notice a little "feathering" on the front tires. The tread blocks on the outside edge of both front tires are not wearing evenly. The leading edge of the block is not the same height as the trailing edge. Not surprising since I've been driving it like a go-kart on the mountain roads these last few weeks! 3000-5000 mile rotations are going to be a necessity.

Hey guys, I have used a few different Michelins like this, right now being the E load range MS2 LTX and MS2 LTX winter. While not the same design exactly as the Premier, they are very quiet and great handling. Mine are run at 52-56psi due to the weight. 275/65-18

You know how people are always trying to get the MOST aggressive tire they can find for an LR3/4 but I chose to give these some testing off road, on actual trails where a stock height/tire LR3 would not be able to clear. They are actually quite good unless you have seriously bad mud and I also imagine super sharp rock gardens would be trouble, but most of the rugged conditions you'd find are doable on these.

The MS2 does have more open space than the Premier but it's a good compromise and also has the 60 or 70k tread wear rating.

To anyone using a symmetrical tread, in the past I have flipped the tires on the wheels after a few rotations. The independent suspension will wear tires prematurely due to the camber. In my experience the minor cost of 2 flips in 70k is well worth the added smoothing factor in it's wear. When I've been towing a lot it's even more noticeable how the camber wears them so quickly on the inside edges, especially the rear of course.

For this same reason the Audi is getting Bridgestone 970 next spring which are HP all season but symmetrical. The Audi S4 Avant really wears the inside edges badly.

I'll post a photo of the MS2 later...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a guy on the beach last week with Wrangler DuraTrac - Size: 255/55R19.
I asked him if he had a lift kit, but then I looked at the sidewall and realized they were stock.
They're the most aggressive tire I've seen in this size.

Has anyone used them? (Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac)

Anyway, nice looking tire. Probably a little loud, but hoepfully not awful.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of posts in various tire threads here on the Duratracs. My wife uses this size on here RR and loves them. They do hum on the highway, moreso as they wear, but not "awful" like a mud terrain tire. I am not sure how the noise insulation factor compares between her 08 RR and a newer LR4. I know my LR3 has more road noise than her RR for sure, but LR may have added more insulating materials to the LR4 over the years.

The biggest problem you will have is finding them. GY stopped production for a while, then sent a new batch over with a S speed ratinng (previous was Q rated), then discontinued them again. It is not clear when or if they will return to the US market (they are made in Germany).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72