Another tire/wheel thread: 19" vs 18"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to get a good handle on if 19s are a major handicap when it comes to offroad performance or if it is a more minor drawback. There seems to be a lot of folks who go the 18" route, and given the cost involved, the fact that a lot of people are going that way leads me to believe there's a lot to be gained by going to 18.

On Tuesday I took my LR4 with 19" Cooper Zeon LTZs over both the Cinnamon and Engineer passes, otherwise known as the Alpine Loop, in between Lake City and Silverton/Ouray, Colorado. The east side of both passes is fairly easy, but the west side is a little more rocky and steep, with Engineer being the more difficult of the two. I did the route east-to-west on Cinnamon, then back west-to-east on Engineer, meaning I was going uphill on the toughest part of Engineer. It was raining, to boot.

The Coopers performed great. I did not air them down at all, though, as I think airing down a tire like this is just asking for sidewall trouble. On some of the faster portions of the roads, there are still fist-sized rocks imbedded in the dirt. Having tires that you could air down would make traveling over these a lot smoother. You've also got to be smart where you place your tires and stay (if at all possible) from rocks that jag out sideways.

Yesterday I drove to the edge of Scholfield Pass, in between Crested Butte and Marble, Colorado. I had no intention of going down this trail, however, as it would require a bit more modification to my vehicle. I also do not believe I'd trust the thin sidewalls of the Zeons on what is regarded as one of the more dangerous trails in Colorado (look up videos of the Devil's Punchbowl, and keep in mind the maxim that video never makes things look as extreme as they are in real life).

Today we are in Snowmass. I may look for some more tails to hit around here. Suffice to say, if you keep it easy-to-moderate and know what you are doing, 19" tires are doable. But you also have to recognize some risks. Having a flat on a steep rocky segment of a trail would be a major bummer.

If I keep my LR4 long-term, 18" wheels are probably in my future.

Last edited:

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rjanjl, thanks for the thoughtful and detailed reply. It's very helpful.

I think part of my hesitation in staying w/19s is that I spent a couple of weeks in Iceland this summer on some very rough terrain. Nothing heart-attack inducing in terms of descents or climbs, but the volcanic rock there is punishing and relentless.

We spent the whole trip in a '99 Disco I which had the standard 16" wheels. So, needless to say, the truck was running tires that could take a lot of punishment. And they did. Frankly, the way the Icelanders run their vehicles, I can't believe we didn't have 20 flats while we were there. When we had the truck on our own, we were more gentle with it, but there were still a few spots that were dicey in the flat department.

But, the tires performed, never skipped a beat and inspired a lot of confidence. And that was a nice comfort as the trip wore on.

Thus far, it sounds like the most positive feedback on 19s is that they'll handle most things if you're not too ******* them, with repeated acknowledgements of their shortcomings. The last thing I want to do is spend an outrageous amount of money on compmotive 18s, but ...

thebigtruck

Reaction score
I wrestled this issue until my factory treads needing replacing and decided to give LR the benefit of doubt and stick to 19s with the Contis. My biggest off-road is sandy beach at the MD shore and I’d wished I’d gone with the 18s. Airing down 19s is scary and moderately effective. The bite on the Contis is negligable. They ride and grip fine. And, when you live city life and only head off the pavement a few times a year, a $4k overall price tag fornBFGs and Compos is hard to justify. Let’s see how I feel when these treads wear down. Bottom line: serious off-road, go with 18s.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 LR4 and ordered 18 inch winter trims to give me greater sidewall depth for snow. The 18 inch alloys would not fit as they fouled the brake caliper. Am I missing something on this 18in vs. 19in discussion?£

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 LR4 and ordered 18 inch winter trims to give me greater sidewall depth for snow. The 18 inch alloys would not fit as they fouled the brake caliper. Am I missing something on this 18in vs. 19in discussion?£
Very few 18" wheels will clear the huge LR4 front brake calipers. The 18-inchers that work properly tend to be pricey. That's about all I know, but there's a ton of more detailed info on the forum if you search...

:(

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah good to know thanks. They were ordered online and the retailer assured me they would fit.........SO ****** when found out they didn't and they had to be shipped back (free of charge)

DugLR4

Reaction score
Continental is having a Promo of a $70 visa card in November

Jazzy

Reaction score
IMG_2226.JPG
I have a 2012 LR4 and I've had both 19" and 18" wheels. Most of my driving is highway, but I hit the trails 1-2 weekends per month.

I had the Cooper Zeon LTZ 255/55/19 tires for 1.5 years and they were great. However, when airing down there is practically NO sidewall and my tire separated from the wheel on two occasions on trails. A rock sliced right through my sidewall on the White Rim Trail in Moab 3 months back.

After the Moab trip, I ordered 18" wheels from Lucky8 specifically for LR4s to fit over the larger calipers. Currently I'm driving with BFG KO2's 275/65r18. There is so much more sidewall...it is a noticeable difference on the trails when aired down as far as handling due to the much wider footprint as well. I absolutely love the look and handling.

A few notes: I have a lift and had to modify to fit. I've heard 265/65r18s don't require mod-ing your vehicle.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 8398 I have a 2012 LR4 and I've had both 19" and 18" wheels. Most of my driving is highway, but I hit the trails 1-2 weekends per month.

I had the Cooper Zeon LTZ 255/55/19 tires for 1.5 years and they were great. However, when airing down there is practically NO sidewall and my tire separated from the wheel on two occasions on trails. A rock sliced right through my sidewall on the White Rim Trail in Moab 3 months back.

After the Moab trip, I ordered 18" wheels from Lucky8 specifically for LR4s to fit over the larger calipers. Currently I'm driving with BFG KO2's 275/65r18. There is so much more sidewall...it is a noticeable difference on the trails when aired down as far as handling due to the much wider footprint as well. I absolutely love the look and handling.

A few notes: I have a lift and had to modify to fit. I've heard 265/65r18s don't require mod-ing your vehicle.

Do those wheels require a spacer?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72