Any Aftermarket LED rings out there...like on the BMWs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weingarm,
but aren't the LEDs supposed to be the day-time running lights?

It's just a matter of time before some LED aftermarket company will come out with an upgrade, i.e. headlight assembly with LED reflectors.

Like I and others have noted, it's not supposed to be the daytime running lights. In Canada where DRL is required, high beam lights up at reduced brightness or something else lights up ( I forgot which). DRL is disabled for US market and dealer is prohibited or unabled to even enable it.

WIth small number of LR4s likely sold worldwide, it's highly unlikely that any aftermarket company can justify the business case of producing one.

holygrail

Reaction score
Order it now...first come, first serve/delivery.

Hey holygrail,

I noted in your signature that you currently own a 2008 335i. I too currently lease a 2008 335xi coupe but my needs have grown (family) and am looking into an LR4 when my lease expires (May 2011).

When do you think I need to place a custom order by in order to have the LR4 arrive in early May 2011?

Weingarm,

You can place an order now. I think the earlier the better. It seems the dealers are always one step behind we are, so take advantage of that. I ordered a 2011 LR4 HSE Plus / with 7-seat comfort pkg...although there are no Plus models for 2011. Another words, he had to include all options as the HSE Plus for the same price rather than pricing all options separately which comes out more expensive. I also included the 5 camera package along with the Xenons which includes the adaptive headlight function, and HD package...all for $53,000. I'm sure there are others that got his option for a better price, but I don't want to press my luck and have the dealer not interested in selling me the car. Basically I settled although my wife wanted it for $52k.

V/r,
Chris

holygrail

Reaction score
So where are the daytime running lights?

Like I and others have noted, it's not supposed to be the daytime running lights. In Canada where DRL is required, high beam lights up at reduced brightness or something else lights up ( I forgot which). DRL is disabled for US market and dealer is prohibited or unabled to even enable it.

WIth small number of LR4s likely sold worldwide, it's highly unlikely that any aftermarket company can justify the business case of producing one.

It says the car has daytime running lights. Which one of the lights are the daytimes? Sorry...don't have deliver of my car yet. Thanks.

V/r,
Chris

Mare'sLR4

Reaction score
HI - new to the forums. What's with 335i and LR4 owners? We own a 2009 335xi and just picked up a 2010 LR4?

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It says the car has daytime running lights. Which one of the lights are the daytimes? Sorry...don't have deliver of my car yet. Thanks.

Spec sheet may say it has a daytime running light but if your model is for USA, it will not.
Having said that, it could be possible that 2011 model may have added this feature for US market.

LED signature light is not a daytime running light. I believe for Canadian market, highbeam lights up at reduced power during day time.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone wants DRL's have your dealer configure as canadian. This will enable DRL's (bi-xenon) as soon as the LR3 or LR4 is taken out of park. LED's are not part of this setting, just bi-xenon.

holygrail

Reaction score
If anyone wants DRL's have your dealer configure as canadian. This will enable DRL's (bi-xenon) as soon as the LR3 or LR4 is taken out of park. LED's are not part of this setting, just bi-xenon.

Thanks...I'll make sure I ask. I guess the middle two lights act as the DRLs. Now, the only thing the dealer needs to know how to configure and disable is that Navi safety feature...where you need to stop the vehicle to change or add a navigation address. It sucks when you're on the highway and need to pull over on the emergency lane just to enter an address. That itself can be dangerous not to mention the nails and glass on the side.

V/r,
Chris

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now, the only thing the dealer needs to know how to configure and disable is that Navi safety feature...

It's not that dealer doesn't knows how to disable this, it's that they wont do it for the liability reason. If manufacture specifically enabled the safety feature for a reason, dealer is prohibited from changing it.
This is not just for Land Rover. I owned 2007 Lexus and every models have this feature enabled and no dealer will unlock this. Most people heck the system or modify the wiring to unlock the nav. Same for all Toyota models. It's not worth the headache for them to mess with this safety feature and deal with legal issues.

A company called blackbox solution in UK sells a device which can edit car configuration file anyway you want, unlocking the nav etc but it will cost you about $1500 to buy the whole kit.

holygrail

Reaction score
It's not that dealer doesn't knows how to disable this, it's that they wont do it for the liability reason. If manufacture specifically enabled the safety feature for a reason, dealer is prohibited from changing it.
This is not just for Land Rover. I owned 2007 Lexus and every models have this feature enabled and no dealer will unlock this. Most people heck the system or modify the wiring to unlock the nav. Same for all Toyota models. It's not worth the headache for them to mess with this safety feature and deal with legal issues.

A company called blackbox solution in UK sells a device which can edit car configuration file anyway you want, unlocking the nav etc but it will cost you about $1500 to buy the whole kit.

tjp74,

You're right...it's not worth it. Didn't know there were liabilities. I'm used to BMWs and Acuras, and changing address on the go is very convenient. It beats pulling over on the highway. When I was leaving for my deployment, my wife and I borrowed my friends Tahoe to haul all my tactical gear and luggages to the airport. As we were driving, we were trying to search for BWI airport and the Navi wouldn't let us. I thought that Navi was broken and was affraid that I would miss my plane. I pulled over and all of the sudden the greyed out letters turned black. I thought to myself what a stupid safety feature that was. Meanwhile we had 18-wheelers wiz by at 70+ mph only a few feet from the car. How safe is that? Anyhow, if Land Rover is so concerned with safety and liability, it would've been nice if they added a voice activated feature, like in the new MDXs. I'm going to have to order a separate Garmin Navi on Cyber Monday.

Again, probably not worth moding the LR4 Navi. I'll probably void my warranty if I did that. Thanks for the info!

V/r,
Chris.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4