Any changes in the LR4 over the last few years?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I simply ruined my infotainment standards by owning 2012 and 2013 BMWs. Nothing is even remotely close to their standard. Shocking to hear the Audi is so bad compared to the LR4. In my experience, the LR4 is one of the worst I have ever used.

Can't wait for manufacturers to go the Tesla route and have Wifi upgradeable software. Manufacturers could also just bite the bullet and pay whatever royalties to simply use a cell connected Google Maps navigation. Nothing can touch Google Maps and its instant updates.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I simply ruined my infotainment standards by owning 2012 and 2013 BMWs. Nothing is even remotely close to their standard. Shocking to hear the Audi is so bad compared to the LR4. In my experience, the LR4 is one of the worst I have ever used.

Can't wait for manufacturers to go the Tesla route and have Wifi upgradeable software. Manufacturers could also just bite the bullet and pay whatever royalties to simply use a cell connected Google Maps navigation. Nothing can touch Google Maps and its instant updates.

Hands down agree with this statement. BMW's iDrive is the easiest system to use and ever since 2009 when they upgraded the system it is by far the most intuitive. Everything can be done almost without even looking.

Google Maps will also always be the most accurate in my book for instant items on main highways. The uConnect system is a little bit of a pain when trying to exclude roads or bypass an accident. I actually thought the LR4 system was more intuitive in this area. Not by much, but still.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing can touch Google Maps and its instant updates.

True. I have not bothered updating my '11's maps...rather spend that $400+ on something more fun. 95% of my navi needs are handled just fine with the existing maps. If I go into an area where I know there have been new roadways, I will back myself up with Google on my phone. I turn off audio on the LR navi and let Google talk me in via Bluetooth. It gets a little disconcerting at times when Google is quiet but the LR map is showing "TURN", but I've gotten used to trusting G'maps.

I've come to terms with my Landy's "rustic" technology to the amusement of my wife who can't believe her technophile husband would put up with this downgrade. Sometimes I laugh at myself by how easy it is to say "It's a Land Rover thing." :tongue:

Last edited:

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've come to terms with my Landy's "rustic" technology to the amusement of my wife who can't believe her techophile husband would put up with this downgrade. Sometimes I laugh at myself by how easy it is to say "It's a Land Rover thing." :tongue:

I think this is pretty true in all things Land Rover. Here in the states we pay a lot of money for something that is practically considered a work horse in England.

If I could have the perfect SUV it would be the Supercharged Engine & Suspension settings from Dynamic mode in the RRS with the LR4 Body and BMW iDrive infotainment system. I would even take the BMW 5.0 engine as well as long as we could keep the 2 speed trans case.

Reason for the above is that I loved my LR4 but felt like it swayed a little too much and wasn't very responsive. I loved the RRS I drove for a few days. Blend the two together a little better and the LR4 would be even better!

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is pretty true in all things Land Rover. Here in the states we pay a lot of money for something that is practically considered a work horse in England.

If I could have the perfect SUV it would be the Supercharged Engine & Suspension settings from Dynamic mode in the RRS with the LR4 Body and BMW iDrive infotainment system. I would even take the BMW 5.0 engine as well as long as we could keep the 2 speed trans case.

Reason for the above is that I loved my LR4 but felt like it swayed a little too much and wasn't very responsive. I loved the RRS I drove for a few days. Blend the two together a little better and the LR4 would be even better!

Shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you gents! I think I can live with a 12 or 13's infotainment. Like I said, Im spoiled but as the song goes....."Let it go"...

Now then If I can just figure out a way to get them to throw in a rear DVD....LOL!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ordered a replacement audio cable and bluetooth thing for my 2010 lr4 .. works great!!

eljefe, so your iphone is able to pair to this device for audio streaming AND to the onboard BT for phone calls simultaneously? Then switches between them automagically when you want to make a call? I thought it was a limitation of the iphone that only one BT connection at a time was possible.

I have been happy with the Kinivo BTC-450 in my 2011. It uses a single BT connection to my phone for both audio streaming and phone calls via AUX. But the purist in me would not mind running my calls through the LR4's onboard BT. Granted the $80 price tag dampens my purist tendencies, but it's still intriguing and a great form factor. From what I can tell, it's one 30-pin connection in the console and no more need to use the power and AUX ports on the back of the center console. Hmmm...

Hmmm...

PS: The Kinivo powers down when I shut off the car (after a delay). It powers back up on its own when I open a door to get in which is nice. Does the Tune2air do the same or is it powered on as long as it's connected? Thx.

Last edited:

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eljefe, so your iphone is able to pair to this device for audio streaming AND to the onboard BT for phone calls simultaneously? Then switches between them automagically when you want to make a call? I thought it was a limitation of the iphone that only one BT connection at a time was possible.

I have been happy with the Kinivo BTC-450 in my 2011. It uses a single BT connection to my phone for both audio streaming and phone calls via AUX. But the purist in me would not mind running my calls through the LR4's onboard BT. Granted the $80 price tag dampens my purist tendencies, but it's still intriguing and a great form factor. From what I can tell, it's one 30-pin connection in the console and no more need to use the power and AUX ports on the back of the center console. Hmmm...

Hmmm...

PS: The Kinivo powers down when I shut off the car (after a delay). It powers back up on its own when I open a door to get in which is nice. Does the Tune2air do the same or is it powered on as long as it's connected? Thx.

yup it connects to Land Rover Bluetooth phone and runs the audio Blue tooth using this device to the phone port in the center console. It just plugs in to the cable and gets the power that way. I like it a lot and my wife is happy now she has bluetooth connectivity audio. I recommend it if you don't have bluetooth. I found it from an audi forum I read up on.

I am not sure if it powers on when the door opens but it connects after a couple of seconds automatically.

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup it connects to Land Rover Bluetooth phone and runs the audio Blue tooth using this device to the phone port in the center console. It just plugs in to the cable and gets the power that way. I like it a lot and my wife is happy now she has bluetooth connectivity audio. I recommend it if you don't have bluetooth. I found it from an audi forum I read up on.

I am not sure if it powers on when the door opens but it connects after a couple of seconds automatically.

Thanks for the details. Sounds like another great solution for retrofitting BT into LR3s and pre-2012 LR4s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo