Any Dash Cams you particularly like for being inconspicuous / ease of install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also wouldn’t worry about running stuff through the headliner. It’s a relatively easy process.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of their usefulness. Some **** merged right into me today. Cut across the solid white and side swiped me. Here is what my car saw from the front. 0F668246-1383-471C-A519-D68477445018.png

DonC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finished up my install last night for the 4 and the D2. I wanted one that could easily go between the vehicles when I drive them so I went with the Cobra Road Scout detector/camera combo. Install went cleanly with everything tucked away.

RD1.jpg

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finished up my install last night for the 4 and the D2. I wanted one that could easily go between the vehicles when I drive them so I went with the Cobra Road Scout detector/camera combo. Install went cleanly with everything tucked away...
Off topic, but just curious... are radar detectors still useful? I thought most police these days either used laser (by the time they hit you with it, it's too late) or we are dealing with fixed camera/radars which are pointed away from you, so would only be detected when you pass. And a lot of the fixed locations are in Waze anyway.

I grew up always having one in the car. Saved my bacon plenty of times back then, but now I live next to Virginia which doesn't allow them anyway. So I'd be taking it down constantly. AND I have a theory that if the police pull you over for anything, and then see you have a detector, you're not getting a warning for whatever they pulled you over for. :fisheye:

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends where you live, but in many states, yes a GOOD radar detector is useful. On the west coast, laser is not very common. And of course a detector is not a license to speed; most patrol cars use instant-on radar so there may not be much more warning than with laser. It definitely help with speed traps and "revenue generation" tickets.

You are absolutely correct that if an officer pulls you over and sees a detector, you are almost guaranteed to get a ticket. Never, ever mount the detector on the dash or middle of the windshield. Place it high up, preferably behind a strip of non-metalized window tint. With a remote power supply, it will be nearly invisible unless the officer literally pokes his head inside your vehicle. Example below (not from an LR4, obviously).

Valentine1_a.jpg

DonC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off topic, but just curious... are radar detectors still useful? I thought most police these days either used laser (by the time they hit you with it, it's too late) or we are dealing with fixed camera/radars which are pointed away from you, so would only be detected when you pass. And a lot of the fixed locations are in Waze anyway.

I grew up always having one in the car. Saved my bacon plenty of times back then, but now I live next to Virginia which doesn't allow them anyway. So I'd be taking it down constantly. AND I have a theory that if the police pull you over for anything, and then see you have a detector, you're not getting a warning for whatever they pulled you over for. :fisheye:

For Texas yes I still find it useful. Waze does a great job with the speed traps but it is the rural areas where the cell coverage is spotty that they becomes useful. Speeding is not an issue as I am going down the highway as I keep it to posted speeds. It is these little towns that like to have the speed posted at 65mph and then drop it to 35mph 50 yards or so later.
I agree with you on the headache of taking them up and down but in Texas i am not worried about it. Now what I go back to visit the family in Virginia and DC it comes down and locked away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut