Anyone using 5w-40 oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wyrover

Reaction score
I know with our DII the owners manual stated a 5w-40 oil could be used. Is it alright to use a 5w-40 oil in a LR3 or should I stick with a 5w-30 oil?

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am unsure about "real world" situations where it may be ok, but the manual does not list it as an option:

Use only oils certified for
Gasoline Engines by the American Petroleum Institute (API). Use a 5W/30 oil meeting specification
API SM+ILSAC GF4.

wyrover

Reaction score
Ok. I was thinking of using Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 synthetic.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doesn't Rotella have 5w-30? I'm just wondering why you want to. I am not a picky oil kind of guy, I would say it'll work. But is there a particular reason?

wyrover

Reaction score
I was thinking it would be a good oil to use because of our extreme temperature range here that ranges from -25 to 100+ and the heavier oil might be better for the summer months while the 5w rating would still work for the winter. I also use the Rotella in our other vehicles. Since the 4.4L is completely different than the 4.0L that was in our DII I didn't know if the heavier 5w-40 oil would be alright to use in the 4.4L or if would cause problems with the engine.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 50 weight to try to quiet a timing chain tensioner rattle - it worked - with no ill effects. Until the temps fell below about 30 F. I think it was straight 50 weight. It was tough to get started when it was colder than 30 so I switched back to 5-30 in the winter. I would GUESS that the worst that would happen is you'd have to switch back when it's cold.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some research for the same question on another forum...

Motor Oil Viscosity

I'll quote, and stand corrected... However, go view the article.

Multi-viscosity grade oils have a wide viscosity range which is indicated by a two-number rating. Popular multi-viscosity grades today include 0W-20, 0W-40, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40 and 20W-50. The first number with the "W" refers to the oil's cold temperature viscosity rating, while the second number refers to the oil's high temperature viscosity rating.

Note: Motor oils that have a wider range viscosity rating such a 5W-30, 5W-40 and 0W-40 are blended with more base stocks and additives. Because of this, it may be harder for a wider range oil to remain in grade as the miles accumulate (which is why GM does NOT recommend using 10W-40 motor oil. They say it breaks down too quickly and does not say in grade as long as 10W-30 or 5W-30. Also, an oil with a lower winter rating like 0W-20 or 5W-20 will contain a higher percentage of thinner base stock oil (which is typically a synthetic oil). This requires more viscosity improver additive to achieve a the same high temperature rating as a 10W-30, 10W-40 or straight 30 or 40 weight oil.

Most vehicle manufacturers today specify 5W-20 or 5W-30 for newer vehicles for year-round driving. Some European car makes also specify 0W-20, 0W-30, 0W-40 or 5W-40 for their vehicles. Always refer to the vehicle owners manual for specific oil viscosity recommendations, or markings on the oil filler cap or dipstick.

Always use the motor oil viscosity recommended by your vehicle manufacturer. Using a different viscosity (thinner or thicker) may cause oil pressure and oil supply problems, especially in late model engines with cylinder deactivation and/or variable valve timing (VVT).

As a rule, overhead cam (OHC) engines typically require thinner oils such as 5W-30 or 5W-20 to speed lubrication of the overhead cam(s) and valve-train when the engine is first started. Pushrod engines, by comparison, typically specify 5W-30, 10W-30 or 10W-40.

wyrover

Reaction score
Always use the motor oil viscosity recommended by your vehicle manufacturer. Using a different viscosity (thinner or thicker) may cause oil pressure and oil supply problems, especially in late model engines with cylinder deactivation and/or variable valve timing (VVT).

As a rule, overhead cam (OHC) engines typically require thinner oils such as 5W-30 or 5W-20 to speed lubrication of the overhead cam(s) and valve-train when the engine is first started. Pushrod engines, by comparison, typically specify 5W-30, 10W-30 or 10W-40.

Going to stick with the 5-30.

Railey

Reaction score
I use a 5w 40. But it has high kms. And is a diesel.

Sent

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM