Are LR4's actually bi-xenon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ishapiro

Reaction score
I have actually always loved the lights in my 2012. It is probably the best of any vehicle I have had.

Even better since I replaced the halogen high beam bulbs with LEDS.

It's one area where I have no complaints with the Rover.
Hi, can you please share which specific LEDs you got for the highbeams?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the 2014+, there is only a bi-Xenon lamp where the reflector moves (no halogen high-beam)..
This is correct. "Bi-Xenon" does not mean two separate Xenon burners. There is only one, with a shield that blocks part of the beam, so it is "low beam". Switching to high beam just moves the shield and changes the beam pattern to "high beam".

I think I've seen several comment that the 2010-2013 lights are much better with both the Xenon and the halogen high beams operating at the same time.
This doesn't add up... if 2010-2013 are not bi-Xenon, they just have standard Xenon low beams on all the time. The "high beams" turn on a halogen bulb that is aimed higher/longer to add high beams. The Xenon low beams don't turn off; so you always have halogen+Xenon on high beam, just with different beam patterns. I have a late 90's Mercedes with the exact same setup.

;)

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, can you please share which specific LEDs you got for the highbeams?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

It's been awhile.

I believe they were these from looking at my Amazon history. If not these, it was something very similar.

Simple plug/play installation and the little ballast module fits within the housing and the covers snap back onto the rear of the housing without issue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L91AUAS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think different people may be using the term "bi-xenon" differently in this thread.

I have a 2012 with the HID headlamps. The Xenon burner has a moving reflector/shield. When I turn on the high beam, the shield/reflector on the Xenon lamp moves to give a higher cutoff, AND a separate halogen high-beam turns on.

This is correct. "Bi-Xenon" does not mean two separate Xenon burners. There is only one, with a shield that blocks part of the beam, so it is "low beam". Switching to high beam just moves the shield and changes the beam pattern to "high beam".

This doesn't add up... if 2010-2013 are not bi-Xenon, they just have standard Xenon low beams on all the time. The "high beams" turn on a halogen bulb that is aimed higher/longer to add high beams. The Xenon low beams don't turn off; so you always have halogen+Xenon on high beam, just with different beam patterns. I have a late 90's Mercedes with the exact same setup.

;)

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the xenons in my 2010 adjustapward when the high beam is activated in addition to th halogens. These are the adaptive HIDs that came with the vision assist package (cameras, auto high beam and the led decorative lights)

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think different people may be using the term "bi-xenon" differently in this thread.

I have a 2012 with the HID headlamps. The Xenon burner has a moving reflector/shield. When I turn on the high beam, the shield/reflector on the Xenon lamp moves to give a higher cutoff, AND a separate halogen high-beam turns on.
The attached jpg shows the movable shield referred to above that moves out of the way when high beam is called for. That then means you have high beam as well as low beam coming from the single Xenon bulb.

The bi-xenon shield setup is not a good design for "flash to pass", hence we have the separate halogens for that function and to provide additional illumination for high beam. It is a pretty good set up and not something I would fool around with too much.

To see how all works, park in front of a reflective window at a shopping centre and play with the high and low beams and flash to pass.

As to the colour of the light, Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc use the 4300K colour as they think that gives the best illumination for what is called definition - means you can figure out what you are looking at.

The other extreme is the blue lighting in the after hours clubs, (and early Mercedes), where you can see a person but not figure out boy or girl - crudely, that is what a lack of definition means.

A LED bulb that is 6000K might be bright but that does not mean you can determine what it is that is illuminated.

Headlight_projector_schematic.png Color Temperature Scale hanging lamps.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV