At Long Last... Modern head unit!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this one has just as many problems as the other one, at least with the older, Denso head units.

I also think it's pretty dumb that you have to connect to the "aux" in to play music. They say the Bosch units have an auxiliary input inside the upper glove box, but my 2012 Bosch unit does not. The only auxiliary input I'm aware of in my 2012 is behind the center console.
I think they moved it to the glovebox with the 2015, when they introduced the LR Apps functionality.

Edit: Looks like it was 2014, actually.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the PowerfulUK video, he mentions a youtube video from a guy in Canada who did the install on a Bosch system. PowerfulUK did not link that video, but I'm guessing it has to be this one:

A little different than the Denso installation. I'm intrigued, but I'd like to see a neat and clean install of the audio system. Seems crazy to have to run a cable all the way back to the aux input, just for it to run all the way back to the head unit. Surely there's a way to tap into the aux input inside the dash?

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it would be a simple splice if you don’t mind losing the aux in jack. If you do, you could rig a switch there to swap between the two sources.

But yeah, this feels like a substantial oversight.

Bronco1

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, with your pioneer, how does the steering wheel controls work with the presets? I don’t like Kenwoods because you can’t scroll through presets, you have to push either 1, 2, 3, etc….

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the PowerfulUK video, he mentions a youtube video from a guy in Canada who did the install on a Bosch system. PowerfulUK did not link that video, but I'm guessing it has to be this one:

A little different than the Denso installation. I'm intrigued, but I'd like to see a neat and clean install of the audio system. Seems crazy to have to run a cable all the way back to the aux input, just for it to run all the way back to the head unit. Surely there's a way to tap into the aux input inside the dash?
@keya is a member here and his profile says San Diego…

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, hmm. No idea who the Powerfuluk guy was talking about, then.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, any updates on adding any of the CarPlay units from this thread to our LR4s?

This is the only modification / upgrade I've wanted to do to my LR4 for years, and it's horrid to have only sketchy no-name install kits as our choice. Painful.

Bronco1

Reaction score
I keep meaning to post this, but I just did this a couple of weeks ago. I’m pretty sure I’m the first one in the country or world with a single din floating unit on a LR4. 2 weeks after asking Spiral Audio if they had a single din kit, it magically appeared on their website, and I jumped on it. Now I’m rocking a 9” Pioneer floating head unit!
DF8A4E6F-F29F-445D-95E5-36196B68A007.jpeg

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Would be kinda cool to get the single-din and have a pop out touchscreen unit. I'd get rid of the clock by tucking it under one of the center vents and put a dual row 12 gang rocker switch panel there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut