At Long Last... Modern head unit!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread definitely helped me with my install. Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20230416_233636600~2.jpg
    PXL_20230416_233636600~2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Screenshot_20230416-200059.png
    Screenshot_20230416-200059.png
    745.6 KB · Views: 140
  • PXL_20230416_233824834~3.jpg
    PXL_20230416_233824834~3.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 140

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PXL_20230416_233842579~2.jpg

Wider angle. Also reupholstered the pillars/headliner in black. Vinyl for the pillars and a heavier duty fabric for the headliner. I retro fitted L663 Defender visors in there.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one looks pretty slick. It has a large screen for the head unit and a smaller screen for the climate control.

https://www.euronavigate.com/produc...-tesla-style-horizontal-car-android-head-unit

Not sure if it works or anything else about it. I just think the style is interesting. it's clean looking and not clunky.

I might just stick with the stock unit. It's outdated, but then so is the LR4 interior. To have something that high-tech in the middle of a dash that is attempting to portray old-world sophistication may just be too jarring for my taste.

DiscoLR4

Reaction score
To me the best solution seems to be from Isudar (used by NTKC YouTube channel). It's not changing the screen and therefore not losing the 4x4 screen or any of the old school charm. Only thing it loses is the navigation (which is ancient) and replaced with apple carplay or Android auto. It's also the cheapest that I've seen. It has wireless carplay, but I wish there was a way to confirm if it has wireless Android auto.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me the best solution seems to be from Isudar (used by NTKC YouTube channel). It's not changing the screen and therefore not losing the 4x4 screen or any of the old school charm. Only thing it loses is the navigation (which is ancient) and replaced with apple carplay or Android auto. It's also the cheapest that I've seen. It has wireless carplay, but I wish there was a way to confirm if it has wireless Android auto.
That actually doesn't look bad for less than $300.00.

Anyone here have one up and running?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kicking around the idea of swapping out the factory stereo again. Right now, seems like the best options are:

1. The isudar unit. Keeps the stock stereo, takes away the stock nav, and adds carplay. Pretty cheap, too. Biggest downside is it just uses the aux cord for audio in. I'm not sure how that affects wireless phone calls.

2. Going the spiral audio route and throwing in an aftermarket stereo. Loses the 4x4 screen, but not sure how much I really care. I just realized that the last few times I went offroad I didn't even use the 4x4 screen. I don't have the rear locker, so it's really more of a novelty thing. Biggest downside is this is fairly expensive at around $2k total. Biggest upside is a bigger screen with all the modern bells and whistles. May produce a better audio signal (sound better) too.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
How important is the MOST system? I could care less about the cameras, sound system and whatnot. Will the instrument panel (dash) care?

Can I rip it all out and upgrade the HU, dsp, amps, and speakers?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a poster on here a loooong time ago who did it. So long ago, in fact, that he opted to keep the stock head unit and replace everything from there on down.

2010 was before carplay and most everything else people would now want.

About 5 years ago I had sold off a bunch of home stereo equipment and decided to try to spruce up the LR4's stereo. Went to a local shop and they said they'd probably advise against it because, in their opinion, to get aftermarket speakers and amplification to pair well they'd have to gut the whole thing and start fresh. Not sure I 100% buy that as the impedance of the stock amps are known (2 ohms), but I guess they have their standards and that's cool.

Anyway, I believe Spiral Audio has an option for not using the stock amps. Maybe contact them and see what they say.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72