At Long Last... Modern head unit!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah this suggests the product they are potentially carrying was only half-baked and now they are trying to bring it home. Highly questionable on part of supplier.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah this suggests the product they are potentially carrying was only half-baked and now they are trying to bring it home. Highly questionable on part of supplier.

From what I know of these Chinese supplied units, it's sort of par for the course. It's why they are so cheap.

Take the same unit, polish up the software and get good install instructions, and it'd cost twice as much or more.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the same unit, polish up the software and get good install instructions, and it'd cost twice as much or more.

I'd buy it. I want the bigger and more modern screen, but the same "base" LR brain behind it and CarPlay added.

That's actually what Naviplus or whatever does. Its the same hardware you can get for $300, but with better software and good instructions and customer service. That extra stuff costs you $500 bucks.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I would be splicing a half-baked Chinese electronic into my LR's already temperamental system. What are we gaining here?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I would be splicing a half-baked Chinese electronic into my LR's already temperamental system. What are we gaining here?

A head unit that's actually useful instead of the antiquated-even-when-new piece of **** we got.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There’s no splicing, it’s all non-permanent. Even in the newest Naviplus thing that retains the GPS the most you are doing is going inside the factory monitor and moving a ribbon cable. With the one I bought, all you do in unplug two factory wires, and plug in a new one into the screen and a Y cable into the power supply cable.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A head unit that's actually useful instead of the antiquated-even-when-new piece of **** we got.

I see so you want apple car play or streaming equivalent? I have an older ipod loaded with songs in the middle console and I rarely if ever even turn the screen on. Phone runs waze in the rare time I need a nav. Being real time with traffic etc beats any car based unit anyhow.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now they're going in deep on CANBus to see if they can troubleshoot the unit they've installed.

The only real issue with this is the fact that the infotainment system uses both the CANBUS and the MOST network. Granted the MOST network is mainly just the audio system, but for the newer vehicles that's how it transfers nav data to the instrument cluster. To make matters worse, 2010-2011 uses the MOST 2.0, and @2012+ uses the MOST 2.1. I'm sure they've updated even further in newer models, I'm just not tracking them.

That said, if they could crack the code on this, that would be wicked cool!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA