ATF change. ***?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadhead86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this is the first time Ive change the tranny fluid since I had the new(used) one put in. I drained it and only about a gallon (4 quarts) came out. This surprised me! Now what surprised me even more then that, was when I went to put the new ATF in. I was working on putting in the second jug (4 quarts) when about 1/4 the way down it started over flowing! WFT? The Disco I takes about 10 quarts does it not? Someone let me know where I dropped the ball please!

Thanks,
-Josh

97' Disco I SE

T Disco

Reaction score
I just did this service myself, with new filter and added about the same tranny fluid. I think around 5 to 6 quarts. There is a cooler up front and associated pipes which probably hold the rest of the fluid. This would account for the more frequent tranny oil changes this car needs vs. similar newer vehicle. The manual states from dry, with no listing for refill.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
When you drain the pan you will only get around 4 quarts or so... most of the fluid is in the torque converter..

Deadhead86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, that makes sense now. How can I go about replacing all of ATF?

Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Either several changes/run times, or go pay someone to do the work via a pump system that will change all the fluid at once via a pump.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635