1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Austin, TX Mechanic Needed

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Mitch Strickling, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Mitch Strickling

Mitch Strickling Member

Hey, I do not necessarily hear it rattle when I start the vehicle up. I do hear a ticking when the motor runs. I have assumed that has something to do with it all. Also, I do know even know how often I have done oil changes. It has been sporadic. I am planning on going to Rover Works and having them potentially replace the chains and coolant/water pipes, then get the vehicle on a strict maintenance schedule.

2. ktm525

ktm525 Full Access Member

I would get a second opinion on the chain and tensioners.

Over the past 8 years my LR4 has cost $0.11/mile to maintain. That is anything that goes in or on it (parts, tires etc)​

3. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

That ticking sound when it's running is probably not the timing chains. These engines are noisy. The injectors make a racket. If there's a problem, it could be the fan clutch, but I'm not sure it's gotten cold enough in Austin to cause that to act up (most only make noise when it's pretty cold out and before the engine warms up).

Your 2013 should have the updated design on the timing chain guides. While still not perfect, they should last a lot longer than the earlier version, especially if the oil changes are kept to a reasonable 7k-mile frequency.

4. Mitch Strickling

Mitch Strickling Member

Took it to Austin Rover Works yesterday. 50% less than dealership...

DonC and cperez like this.
  5. gsxr

gsxr Full Access Member

Did you ever confirm if it actually needs the timing chain job? Some dealers/shops are looking for work and may hear things that aren't there...

o_O