AUX hookup but Uneven sound in speakers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just rigged up the aux hookup by going into the passenger side kick panel and connecting to the "AUX" 3 wires. But after placing ground on... im loosing the full spectrum of sound in the left (drivers side) speakers.... and without grounding im having a even sound through all speakers, but not keeping having the spectrum of lows, mids and highs coming out... anyone experience this?

was told by friend that maybe its becuase the AUX wires are built for connectivity to a cd changer and not straight from a 3.5 ipod wire?

happy over all ... but could be happier with a comppletey perfect setup...

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd re-check the wiring. The AUX wires are the same wires that go to the AUX jack that I have "stock" and work fine.

Do note the iPod will be lower in volume than CD or FM, so it'll give you the illusion of "lower quality." (Our simple brains equate loudness with quality.)

Also, if you aren't using it already... I'd recommend using the iPod dock jack for audio output instead of the headphone jack for better quality, too. Belkin has a car charger with an audio output on the power plug... works well. The dock connector line-out has a higher level output than the headphone jack on the iPod... still doesn't match, but it's closer (about 5 volume ticks).

drdombeck

Reaction score
I'm having same problem, have tried a few fixes. I'm wondering if the module Land Rover puts out will fix this?

supra88

Reaction score
WHAT AUX INTERFACE ,MODULE,CABLE YOU ARE USING ?

I know that the soundgate abmw35 was having that problem and there was a fix for it a resistor on the ground wire of one channel

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update! took car back to dealer because they finally got a stock part that is an ipod dock charger and all (excited). Take it to get installed (mind you I'm under the impression this is complimentary after having been taken for a ride when I first purchased the LR3). I arrive to pick up and one, notice they permanently mounted in a spot I specifically asked not to, tried to charge me $700, and get this, it didn't even work. They say they weren't sure because no one had an IPod there to actually check it... and they now say it's just not gonna work in my vehicle... to add to it, they know I live an hour away from the dealership and ask me to come back the next day again.... but anyways... still rocking the semi-uneven sound from the original AUX wire tapping, and to reply to the type of wire im using...? Just some stereo wire from Radio Shack... has the female female end and hard wired end, with another cable going from IPod to the wire... now that I write that I wonder if that could be an issue... the IPod, to wire, to another wire setup... hmmmm

Echoes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just paid $500 for the dock and it sounds like absolute dog doo.
All of the sound seems to be coming from front drivers side speaker. Balance to the right I get nothing.

I did the Belkin thing, but thought that the upgrade would be the way to go.

ANy thoughts?

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok forgot about this, but heres the end of the story... theres a Landrover made dock and the dealer finally hooked it up.. works great, charges my ipod and best of all they finally agreed to do this free of charge since i got screwed over from day one on the deal.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know how you like it. I looked at the OEM iPod dock and decided to pass. Instead, I went for the Harman Kardon Drive and Play 2 from a local Stereo Store last year. Here's the link: http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx
Was $500.00 installed-looks like an OEM setup as it matches the stock stereo trim, plus, I have a bigger screen that only takes a a quick glance to see while driving. Controls can be used without taking eye off road. Plus, my iPod is out of sight in the glove box.

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh, i think i saw the Harman option when i was figuring out ways to rig it up... first i did the hardwire tap in via the kick panel wires... then the hardwired LR stock dock.. which is perfect by the way. i find it to be a better option than the stock aux in on the other lr3's.

reasoning:
-sound is amplified a bit better i believe
-and ipod dock charges as it plays.
-no cords

if i can remember correctly part and install via the dealership would have run about 600-700 (although they eventually did it for free due to the salesman lying at time of vehicle purchase)

if you want to see photos i could probably post them up, easy enough.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635