Bad tie rod ends?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

equilibrium

Reaction score
This is a bad tie rod end.
IMG_٢٠٢١١٢٠٤_١٠٠٧٢٦.jpg

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did this last I got motion with the 9 &3 grip however The motion I got was just the wheels turning right to left
If there is play there, it will feel different from turning against the steering. Steering turn feels fluid and smooth, like peanut butter (not chunky). If there is play, it feels like you have to move your tire a little bit before you even start working against that peanut butter. It will often have a clunking noise, too, if it's bad enough.

Tie rods are the cheap and easy replacement, but if you haven't done the upper control arms yet, I think it could be that as well.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I’m starting to think it’s the upper control arms. Is that normal for these trucks? I haven’t heard of many people doing them

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it gets more normal around your mileage. They don't have the same stresses as the lowers, but they do go out after a while.

senojev

Reaction score
I would vote for changing inner and outer tie rod ends and new alignment ...see what the result is before going for control arms. Just having mine done for around $900 at the LR pirates. Would have done it myself but have a schedule crunch. If that does not solve the problem then I would consider replacing lower control arms. LR pirates wanted $3100 including $1500 for parts. If you are mechanically inclined and have a decent set of tools (including a Sawzall!) it is relatively easy if the bolts are not seized. If seized be prepared for cutting.

t3s1a

Reaction score
You can definitely feel a bad tie rod when shaking a wheel at 3&9 even without lifting the truck. It might be something else.
- Wheels alignment
- Old/low-quality tires
- Unbalanced brake rotors
- Upper control arms
- Low quality lower control arms

I have vibrations at 60mph+ speeds, but my LCA bushings are worn out. Tie rods are good

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it’s very possible it could be my upper control arms. It’s odd because sometimes it will shake but other times it won’t. Is there any specific test or things i could do to confirm it’s the upper control arms? I wouldn’t rather throw money blindly at the situation.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put your hand over the joint and have someone turn the wheel. If you feel movement between the parts, that's it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut