Bare minimum recovery gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*searched but couldn't find a recent thread on this topic*

As my LR4 order (with HD package) is about to go through and I hopefully receive the vehicle in the late summer I've shifted my thoughts to taking the LR4 off-road in my area.

I'm in West San Jose so it looks like Hollister is the obvious location (planning to join NCLR for the club experience), I'm not an experienced off-roader so I will be taking it easy but I want to get off the asphalt as much as possible and gain experience.

I work pretty long hours, and with my family (wife prefers to only go places with "running water" :rofl:) it will be difficult to schedule my off-road time. Most of the time I'll be cruising without a second truck buddy, but I expect to take advantage of the NCLR trips down there.

I won't be getting a winch until I know if I'll be a casual off-roader or more serious one.
If you were me what would be the basics you'd start with?

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Things you will need for moderate off road should consist of tow-straps, a d-ring(you can insert in hidden rear bumper) air compressor, handheld cb radio, gloves, and flashlight. These are the bare minimals.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
- Don't off-road alone... go with another 4x4 if possible
- ****** strap (not just a tow strap... there is a big difference)
- At least 2 D-Rings
- Air compressor if you plan on airing down your tires (I don't air down because the terrain here in FL doesn't really call for it)
- Shovel
- Water
- Paper map of the area if you can find one
- Spare tire

There are lots of things you may find useful that others wouldn't. It really depends on how ******** the off-roading you're going to do is. For example, people off-roading in places that they know they will always be able to call a buddy, survival-type equipment isn't as important. For people off-roading in really remote areas, satellite phones, winches, survival gear, and other things may take precedence. It really depends. Get out there, go out with other trucks if possible, and have fun. These trucks can handle a lot more than most of us will ever throw at them, but over time you will decide the off-road equipment that is most important to you. Enjoy!

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I should clarify, that I do have a buddy with a sequoia about 1.5 hours away and as far as I know Hollister is well covered by cell towers, but your points are taken.

CB radio - hadn't thought of that.
D-rings - as in one for my vehicle and one for the person towing me out?
****** strap - reading more about that now, hadn't heard of this before.

I've seen several threads about Maxtrax, any opinion on that type of equipment?

Actually just found this thread which is so far answering all of my questions.
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24510&highlight=d-ring&page=2

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey JotaDe,

Nice to meet you, I am not far from San Jose in San Carlos and a member of the NCLR club. I go to Hollister with them fairly often and you would be welcome to join us sometime. Even if you want to ride along with me in my truck before your truck arrives, I can show you some of the trails.

Are you getting your truck from Land Rover San Jose? I know those guys well and they love my truck. I am going for my first service next Friday and they plan to take photos for their showroom.

There are plenty of people around in Hollister and there are always trucks with recovery straps, etc., so you don't need to be completely geared up and it's very safe. I have a winch and plenty of gear. CBs are nice to keep in touch, but not mandatory when going to Hollister, as we always explore as a group. There are some heavily modified vehicles, as well as completely stock, so a nice mix.

Send me a PM for more information.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I should clarify, that I do have a buddy with a sequoia about 1.5 hours away and as far as I know Hollister is well covered by cell towers, but your points are taken.

CB radio - hadn't thought of that.
D-rings - as in one for my vehicle and one for the person towing me out?
****** strap - reading more about that now, hadn't heard of this before.

I've seen several threads about Maxtrax, any opinion on that type of equipment?

Actually just found this thread which is so far answering all of my questions.
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24510&highlight=d-ring&page=2

That old thread is a good one. Thanks for pointing it out.
I've got most of the basic things you all point out. But no CB, yet. I need to research the options there.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That old thread is a good one. Thanks for pointing it out.
I've got most of the basic things you all point out. But no CB, yet. I need to research the options there.
I think I am actually going to get my HAM radio license and get one of those, they seem to be the preferred device in my LR club.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I am actually going to get my HAM radio license and get one of those, they seem to be the preferred device in my LR club.

That does sound like something interesting to do. I'll need to find out how involved it is. I wonder if I need to relearn Morse Code.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also been reading more great "recovery" threads like
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16744&highlight=******&page=4
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12102&highlight=******
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19183&highlight=******

What's clear to me now is that I think I need to participate in a training course or be around plenty of recovery situations and observe. Obviously with the forces at work damage to vehicles and people are very real, I never put this much thought into these processes before and my eyes are opening :)
Anyway, off to read and learn some more.

Finlayforprez, I'll PM you, thanks for reaching out.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do get into this you may want to consider the following. (Since you live in the NoCal area.)
- The Land Rover Experience school at Quail Lodge. David (Finalyforprez - Finlay is his dog's name) has been. I would go if it weren't so far away.
- A year from now they will hold another Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ. I haven't been but it looks like a great place to learn about a lot of this stuff. It just happened this past weekend so it won't come around for another year. I wasn't able to make it but will try next year. They have one in the East but that is too far for me.
- Sometimes local clubs do arrange training sessions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9