Black Powder Coated Rims - Yes or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, through the wonders of Photoshop, I took my current LR4 19" rims and wanted to see what they would look like powder coated matte black.

Here is a before and after shot - I think it looks great! What do you guys think?

IMG_1337.jpg

blackrims_2.jpg

zgaspen

Reaction score
I also think they look/would look great, especially with your other accessories. Beefs up the look while still adding contrast.....Also I'd think fairly practical with dirt and brake dust assuming you don't have a problem nicking them all up on or off road. Good luck!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also think they look/would look great, especially with your other accessories. Beefs up the look while still adding contrast.....Also I'd think fairly practical with dirt and brake dust assuming you don't have a problem nicking them all up on or off road. Good luck!
Thanks!

I agree! This is an older picture of my LR4, as I now have black rock sliders/steps. A friend of mine did the Photoshop work and grabbed this old one off my Photobucket page. I am thinking of getting an extra set of rims and keeping my old ones. I think I am going to do it.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the BMW X5 owners actually use Plasti-Dip on their wheels. If you don't like it, you can take it off later. Apparently, you can get the stuff at Home Depot etc.

Search on xbimmers or xoutpost--- just a thought...

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they would look great David. Please post photos if you end up doing it. Will you be keeping the truck after the lease is up?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the BMW X5 owners actually use Plasti-Dip on their wheels. If you don't like it, you can take it off later. Apparently, you can get the stuff at Home Depot etc.

Search on xbimmers or xoutpost--- just a thought...
Hey PALR4,

Yes, I have heard of that and it looks pretty amazing. It comes off quite easily and does not damage - best of all it can be applied with the wheels on if you cover the brakes, etc. with paper. I've watched YouTube videos of the process and it's a cool technique and looks exactly like powder coated rims. Maybe I will try it out first and see if I like it - it can always be removed easily.

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they would look great David. Please post photos if you end up doing it. Will you be keeping the truck after the lease is up?
Hey George,

Likely not. The LR dealership and LRNA told me that I could powder coat the wheels if it was done in a tactful manner. They said black powder coating would be fine. With that said, I was not planning to do my stock rims, but rather found some LR4 rims on eBay that are around $500.00 for all 4 - so I would likely do those and can always sell them later. That's not too bad, as I really want the Comptomotives, but definitely not spending that much (wheels, tires, etc.) if I am not keeping it. My lease is up in February 2014, so I have some time to enjoy the wheels and can always sell them afterward. I definitely plan to keep my stock wheels stored away and will switch back afterward. I don't plan anymore modifications on the truck beside what I already did.

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think about it! It looks awsome!
I agree! I love the stock split wheel rims, so I am going to stick with them and likely powder coat them... I may try Plasti-Dip just to see how they look in person... but i am likely going with it.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
It looks like I'm in the minority here. I've always felt that black rims give a car that up-on-cinder-blocks-on-the-front-lawn boy racer look. I guess I'm just old school.

I'd be worried that the tool grip compound wouldn't hold up well to off roading. I'm not so sure about powder coat either. If you must have black rims, and because you wheel, I'd consider a simple rattle can paint job, so that when they get scratched you can freshen them up easily.

If I wanted to make my LR4 look tougher, rather than paint the rims black, I think I'd paint the wheel arches semi-flat. I think that LR3s look tougher than LR4s.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99