Black Powder Coated Rims - Yes or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like I'm in the minority here. I've always felt that black rims give a car that up-on-cinder-blocks-on-the-front-lawn boy racer look. I guess I'm just old school.

I'd be worried that the tool grip compound wouldn't hold up well to off roading. I'm not so sure about powder coat either. If you must have black rims, and because you wheel, I'd consider a simple rattle can paint job, so that when they get scratched you can freshen them up easily.

If I wanted to make my LR4 look tougher, rather than paint the rims black, I think I'd paint the wheel arches semi-flat. I think that LR3s look tougher than LR4s.
Howdy CaptainSpalding!

I know what you mean in some ways, it can be very nice or very as you describe. I am also a bit old school about most things, but I do like the look of the flat black matte rims with the nara bronze. I also think that the LR3s look a bit tougher than the LR4 in some ways - especially when they are nicely modified.

With all this said, and compounded by the fact that I might not keep my truck but for another year, I have decided to save my money and NOT get another set of rims to powder coat. As you describe, when I am off-roading the powder coat might scratch, etc. Plus, I just don't know if I will get sick of the black and want to change it out again, to something like gun metal. All that said, I have decided to just Plastidip my wheels - it is very easy, don't even need to remove the wheel, and looks great. I know a couple people who did it and it holds up incredibly well and really protects the wheels. When you want it off, you just peel it away. That way I can put it on and remove it as I want.

I know someone with an LR3 who goes off-roading and he plastidipped his rims and it lasted looking great for almost a year - then he removed it and they looked like new!

Plus, it will cost me $25.00 to do it... :)

I'll post pictures.

-David

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I look forward to hearing about the plasti dip process and seeing the results. Good luck!

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Captain,

I agree: I personally do not like the black look (so there are two). Not that it is bad, it is just super-tough, and I think part of the charm of the LR4 (vice Defender) is the elegant lines and styling.

I have considered it, and if I were to go with black, I would get rid of the silver trimmings on other parts of the truck to keep up the "bad boy" demeanor. I would also look for "tough" accessories like heavy bumpers and accessory lights (in black, of course). This is a case where the 18" rims with oversize tires would be a bit more consistent.

Either way-one should appoint their vehicle as they see fit. Finley-do the job and don't look back (but pray, do tell).

Land Rover Joe

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Captain,

I agree: I personally do not like the black look (so there are two). Not that it is bad, it is just super-tough, and I think part of the charm of the LR4 (vice Defender) is the elegant lines and styling.

I have considered it, and if I were to go with black, I would get rid of the silver trimmings on other parts of the truck to keep up the "bad boy" demeanor. I would also look for "tough" accessories like heavy bumpers and accessory lights (in black, of course). This is a case where the 18" rims with oversize tires would be a bit more consistent.

Either way-one should appoint their vehicle as they see fit. Finley-do the job and don't look back (but pray, do tell).

Land Rover Joe
Hey Land Rover Joe,

I hope you are doing well. I'd love a picture update of your awesome LR4!

As for the black, I am back and forth about doing it permanently, so I have decided to use the Plastidip spray to try it out first and see how it looks. It's cheap, easy-to-do, and last a while if you want it - or it just peels right off with no problem.

I will definitely take some pictures once I am done. I am hoping to tackle it this weekend.

-David

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my Sport's 20" wheels powdercoated bright anthracite, and they look great (IMO). My wife absolutley hates the color, but she likes chrome:puke:

It helped that my wheels had many scrapes from the prior owner and a few gouges from my off-roading. My dealer (Marin), somewhat specializes in doing this, and the price was very reasonable and the process hassle free. Pics are in my camera, but I will post if requested.

I loved the color of my Prodrive P1's on my old WRX wagon, which inspired the color choice.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my Sport's 20" wheels powdercoated bright anthracite, and they look great (IMO). My wife absolutley hates the color, but she likes chrome:puke:

It helped that my wheels had many scrapes from the prior owner and a few gouges from my off-roading. My dealer (Marin), somewhat specializes in doing this, and the price was very reasonable and the process hassle free. Pics are in my camera, but I will post if requested.

I loved the color of my Prodrive P1's on my old WRX wagon, which inspired the color choice.
Hey bgsntth,

Thanks for the response. When you say "Marin", do you mean Marin LR in CA??? That's not too far from me! I definitely want to hear more!

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I will post more pictures soon... But I did the PlastiDip yesterday and it was pretty darn easy and came out great!!! I just put the plastic bag in the wheel and covered the brakes and calipers and then sprayed away..... I will post more pictures from afar so you can see what it looks like on the truck, but here are a couple up close wheels to give you an idea. Now I need to get some black side air vents! :)

What do you think? Literally, it took me about 2 hours off and on and cost $20.00.

More pictures later today!!!

photo.jpg

wheel1.jpg

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave, looks awesome! I thought about black wheels when I bought my Lr4 but with it being black and me being 33, I didn't know if the truck would look too "rapper" mobile and if I was too old for that "murdered out" look.

On white and your bronze, I think it looks classy.

So how did you cover the tires and did you take off your wheels to do?

Great job and thanks for sharing!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave, looks awesome! I thought about black wheels when I bought my Lr4 but with it being black and me being 33, I didn't know if the truck would look too "rapper" mobile and if I was too old for that "murdered out" look.

On white and your bronze, I think it looks classy.

So how did you cover the tires and did you take off your wheels to do?

Great job and thanks for sharing!
Hey ougrad1,

Thanks! I will post more from further away, but wanted to show everyone a close-up shot. I only covered the brakes/calipers with a trash bag. I cut a slit in the bag and wove it into the wheel and loosely (but thoroughly) covered the brakes/calipers. Very easy!

You don't cover the tires, you just spray it without worrying about overspray. After the PlastiDip is dried, it peels off the tire in one piece - it's pretty amazing. At that point, like in the close-up picture above, I also peeled it off the green Land Rover emblem on the center cap.

I have been thinking of getting another set of rims and painting or powder coating them black, but this allows me to see how they look. Heck, it was so easy I might just leave it this way for a while. I think I am getting the black side vents next, they are about $150.00 on eBay. It would look awesome!

Thanks!

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99