Board's Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All (except Ron and Radionighster),

I'm wondering what you guys would do in this situation:

I really went out of my way to find an Optima battery that I thought would fit. The book didn't say it would fit, but I thought maybe it was because the LR3 is still relatively new or whatever. After seeing how wrong "the book" an be with respect to wheels, I guess I figured I knew more than the book. My bad.

So I special ordered this Red Top that has reversed terminal-posts so that I could put it in the primary battery compartment. When I went to install it, the L-shaped bracket on the end of the cables makes it impossible to fit onto the terminal-post. The metal part that the circle (terminal) connects to simply isn't long enough to reach the post.

Here is the question....should I get an Interstate Battery that will fit for sure? ....or should I grab a pair of vice grips and straighten out those L-shaped brackets just enough so that the terminals will fit on the posts?

I'm not much for messing with my rig, but I'm getting more used to the idea (after the suspension mod!)....I just don't know if this is worth it. The Optima is a superior battery...but do I want to start tweaking things like this?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get an Interstate battery that fits and use the Optima in the spare battery tray with one of the Traxide battery isolators. At least that's what I would do.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm not sure if the Traxide isolator will allow for using a reversed-terminal battery, will it? Can you arrange it so that the "red" and "black" cables come out wherever you want them?

Also that becomes a $350 investment.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can return the Optima I would and get the Interstate. If I couldnt take it back then I would bend the L bracket. Keep the warranty Info for the Interstate, There is a good chance it will fail befre the waranty expires so you can get 2 for the price of one. The double battery is a good idea but if you are not running a winch or a bunch of stuff I dont see the need. I would rather have an air compressor mounted in there. You would use that every time you go out. My CO2 tank and stauns are about my favorate toys I take with me.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If daily cranking power is your main concern, IMO there is nothing wrong with the Interstate MTP, it is a very good battery on its own (I searched for opinions and experiences on several other forums and sites before I purchased mine) and as a bonus it is a dead ringer for the OEM, no mods necessary. I also like the fact that the Interstate is not a "set it and forget it" sealed design, so you can open and check it periodically or before taking a long road trip, adding a little distilled water as necessary to keep it in peak conditions. If lots of extra juice to run power hungry equipment off your car is important, a dual battery setup may be worth the expense. But it may make more sense to use a dual purpose / deep cycling battery (Optima Yellow Top) as the auxiliary.

PS: Whatever battery you choose, make sure it's fresh.

Last edited:

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Traxide dual battery kit is made to be able to mount to a battery if it has reversed posts or not.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my battery (with a Die Hard) I just bought a new longer cable and shcnged out the LR terminal. I think it cost less than a ten spot and has worked fine.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see why Roverine is a Guru. Practical advice within your budget and gets you what you want.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...what about something like this on both posts:

http://www.wirthco.com/knife-switch-post-p-475-l-en.html

They say you aren't supposed to do this on the postive side, but I wonder if there is way to alleviate that concern (like insulating it somehow since I really don't need the switching aspect)....

...or anything LIKE this.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not researched batteries, but my "collective wisdom" from monitoring various forums is that the Red Top Optima's have a generally unfavorable reputation (though the Yellow Tops are more popular), and that the Interstates are particularly well liked by LR3 owners.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99