Can a 2013 LR4 be upgraded to Heavy Duty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coffee

Reaction score
New to the Land Rover club, and loving it. I used the search function but didn’t see anyone discussing this topic directly. I’ve already created quite a list of things I would like to do to the truck.

Short-term the LR4 will be for work, trucking teenagers to their tournaments, and vacations (trips to the mountains, beach, and ski slopes). With three to five trips in the winter to snowy mountains each year, I know to buy snow chains (many times police will restrict certain roads to vehicles with 3-peak marked snow tires, or chains only — mud tires don’t cut it), ****** straps, etc... . Since we’re often up there where there is no mobile coverage, I’ll probably add a synthetic line winch. I guess I’ll be buying a front bumper too. ‍♂️

I understand that the traction control is impressive. However, my F-150 has a rear locking differential that I’ve grown accustomed to having at the push of a button. I’d like to have that on this truck. My questions:
  1. Can the Heavy Duty package be added to my 2013 LR4 HSE LUX?
  2. What would be the likely cost? I’d prefer to avoid remanufactured components for such a critical part of the truck.
  3. Does the HD pkg add anything else? ...heavier axel, brakes, transmission cooler?
  4. How is it controlled? ... with a dedicated switch on the console? I’ve seen the change to the 4x4 display adding the second locking diff.
Thanks for any help with this.

Cheers

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I’m aware, the HD package only has the locking rear diff and a full size spare tire.

It’s controlled automatically just like the center locking diff.

As far as integrating the OEM parts, I’m not of much help. I’m pretty sure someone has done it, but you also need to change configuration settings on the cars computers. I think this can be accomplished with a GAP tool.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the question has been asked and the answer has been that is it cost-prohibitive and one would be better off going aftermarket. But I personally have no knowledge of the challenges in doing so.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been done. Can't recall if the thread was here or at Overland Portal. I THINK the poster might have been HuyTran or similar, but it has been a while and memory fades.

IIRC his biggest issue was getting the padlock icon on the touchscreen to lock/unlock.

Hopefully that gives you enough to search on.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a locking diff on my last 4Runner so I feel your desire to have the locking diff on the LR4.

Scott Brady tried and failed to get an ARB one working. ARB makes a button-activated one for the LR3 but were not able to get it to work on all the LR4s (spline size differences between some models?). He did get the front one working (again - switch-activated.)

So the only remaining options are to do an OEM component swap, plus the associated ECU updates. That's what [mention]avslash [/mention] was referring to. I also remember that set of posts and know that it's been done but it's not common. IF you get it to work, then it's still only computer-controlled, not switch-activated.

The last option is do what a number of members have done and sell your non-HD and buy an HD when you can. Again, this is controlled by the terrain response system, not you. There is no manual override.

I miss my rear locker - it's a nice to have in advance of heading into cross-axle type terrain. But I've been able to do big and tough expeditions in the LR4 as is with good tires and careful driving.

Good luck! Keep us up to date!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coffee

Reaction score
Wow. Quick, informative responses from this forum!

Maybe going with a third party locker is a better idea. I’ll research those. My local Offroad guys would probably be more familiar with those, and it’ll be less expensive than going to a Land Rover dealership.

Thank you!

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Quick, informative responses from this forum!

Maybe going with an ARB, or some other locker is a better idea. I’ll research those. My local Offroad guys would probably be more familiar with those, and it’ll be less expensive than going to a Land Rover dealership.

Thank you!
Yeah you could do an ARB on the front. It's not as great as doing the rear because of loading when going uphill. Look at Scott Brady's posts on Overland Journal.

The Modern Explorer: Land Rover LR4 - Part I
The Modern Explorer: Land Rover LR4 - Part II
The Modern Explorer: Land Rover LR4 - Part III

https://expeditionportal.com/?s=lr4&submit=

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coffee

Reaction score
So the only remaining options are to do an OEM component swap, plus the associated ECU updates. That's what [mention]avslash[/mention] was referring to. I also remember that set of posts and know that it's been done but it's not common. IF you get it to work, then it's still only computer-controlled, not switch-activated.
I need to search out a reasonably priced, good Land Rover mechanic in Atlanta, GA. I’ll ask, but I don’t think my normal offroad guys source and work with Land Rover parts. ... Yet, maybe that isn’t that important as long as they’re great off-road builders in general (which they are).

...The last option is do what a number of members have done and sell your non-HD and buy an HD when you can. Again, this is controlled by the terrain response system, not you. There is no manual override.
Aside from the complete pain that could end up being, I’ve actually done some searching, and haven’t found a 2013 (which I like for the v8) with HD, kept in the South, with a good service history. Actually, I don’t even see one out there with lots of rust and no service history. :) I’ll keep watching though, right up until I sink too much money in this one.

Last edited:

Coffee

Reaction score
Yeah you could do an ARB on the front. It's not as great as doing the rear because of loading when going uphill.
I would definitely go with a rear locking diff first. They’re even more helpful going downhill than a front locker. I watch lots of YouTube. ;-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA