Can a 2013 LR4 be upgraded to Heavy Duty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Lucky8 has come out with an option as well where they ship you a ready to go locking differential. I assume air locker, but I could be wrong.

I remember it being mentioned on one of the forums where gents were discussing how they might have gotten it to work.

Give them a call, they are friendly and they know their stuff.

ETA: I see LuckyHal beat me to the punch...;)

I know many guys do just fine without it, but I am very happy to have mine. We bought our truck new, and I actually walked out of a dealership because the dipsh!t salesman pretty much flatly refused to order me one with it in hopes I would buy out of their stock. "What would you ever need that for...." I should really look that dude up and send him some pictures sometime.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Lucky8 has come out with an option as well where they ship you a ready to go locking differential. I assume air locker, but I could be wrong.

I remember it being mentioned on one of the forums where gents were discussing how they might have gotten it to work.

Give them a call, they are friendly and they know their stuff.

ETA: I see LuckyHal beat me to the punch...;)

I know many guys do just fine without it, but I am very happy to have mine. We bought our truck new, and I actually walked out of a dealership because the dipsh!t salesman pretty much flatly refused to order me one with it in hopes I would buy out of their stock. "What would you ever need that for...." I should really look that dude up and send him some pictures sometime.
Somebody in this forum, I can't remember who, used that option and it failed. Twice.

I'd hesitate to go that route with such a critical component.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fireangel1313

Reaction score
I have a 2013 LR4 HSE and have made many trips to the mountains in the summer and winter, no problems AT ALL, but if chains are required no matter what, that just sucks! Just got back from Crystal, CO and did some rock crawling in Carbondale, CO. This vehicle continues to impress me! All I’ve done is give it small DIY lift by modifying the existing rods ($5) which isn’t really needed and built a roof rack for it. It pulls my boat, hauls kids and bikes all and rides like a Cadillac...LOVE IT! Might get a metal rear bumper soon and hidden winch.
40822a012a443ed7f3674dd99e9d4900.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffee

Reaction score
After reading the response, I'm becoming more interested in installing lockers that I control. Yet, hearing that people are having trouble with getting them to work is confusing. I though off-road shops did that as a routine thing. Is there something about the LR4, or Discovery 4s in general that complicates adding aftermarket lockers?

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The terrain response system needs to know what's there to work properly. I don't think adding a manual controlled locker will end up very well as the computer will freak out when you activate it.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading the response, I'm becoming more interested in installing lockers that I control. Yet, hearing that people are having trouble with getting them to work is confusing. I though off-road shops did that as a routine thing. Is there something about the LR4, or Discovery 4s in general that complicates adding aftermarket lockers?
The LR4 has no after-market rear locker from a major manufacturer. ARB tried and gave up. Lucky8 claims that they can swap in an LR3 one and make it work.

[mention]TheWidup [/mention] apparently that is not accurate. Only in the case of OEM components does the Terrain response need to know (so that it can activate) the automatically controlled lockers. If they're locked on an LR3 using ARB's rear locker kit, then as far as terrain response is concerned, it just sees two axles moving in tandem with no need for it to apply any traction control to one of the rear wheels.

So for an LR3 running an ARB rear locker or an LR4 with Lucky8's swapped in diff + locker - either way you have a manual switch controlling it on the dash and Terrain response is none the wiser.

For an OEM based "HD" locker from JLR on an LR3 or LR4, those are computer controlled only (no manual switch.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72