Change out differential and transfer case fluids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any write ups on how to change the differential and transfer case fluids on the LR4?

Umberto's engine oil service video gave me the courage to do the engine oil and I'd like to do more DIY maintenance.

Cheers!

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess no luck. I have the digital service manual so I'll try to write something up myself.

Wish me luck.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok boys...step one complete...

I went to the dealer today and picked up 2 quarts of oil for the transfer case, 2 quarts of oil for the rear diff with locker and 2 quarts for the front locker. Anyone care to guess how much it cost?? $200...I kid you not. Freaking hilarious....I think I did a double take when the cashier told me.

Anyway, I'll study up tonight and hopefully get it done tomorrow.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the rear locking diff oil is absurdly priced, didn't think the remaining ones would be that expensive though. Oh well, at least you don't need to replace those fluids every 7500 miles... Looking forward to a full pictorial tomorrow night. :biggrin:

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am looking forward to your DIY write up. This will be something I would like to be able to do on my own.

I had done differentials in my JKUR and those were a cake walk. I figure the LR4 might not be as easy.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally had the time to get underneath the truck and do the work.

Nothing too complicated just a bit time consuming. I think it took me about 2.5 hours and it could probably be done quicker once you familiarize yourself with the process.

I purchased all the fluids from my local dealer. No issues in picking it up, unlike the engine oil.
IMG_2127-L.jpg

I decided to do the front and rear differential and the transfer case.

I started with the rear diff by jacking up the rear and placing jack stands under the frame.

IMG_2130-L.jpg

The drain plug is right underneath the pumpkin and the fill hole is passenger side of the housing. Draining the oil is simple enough but filling it back it is difficult because of the lack of clearance and the small fill hole. So I purchased transfer pump for under $10.

I'm not sure what to make of the gunk found on the drain hole plug.

IMG_2131-L.jpg

I can wipe the gunk off and see a bit of shavings.

IMG_2133-L.jpg

Has anyone seen this type of gunk before? I only have 26K miles on the truck.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transfer case was a piece of cake.

IMG_2134-L.jpg

The drain plug is right underneath and the fill hole is above on the drivers side. It's still tough to fill so I used a hand pump to push the oil in.

IMG_2135-L.jpg

The plugs were nice and clean.
IMG_2136-L.jpg

The consistency of the transfer case fluid is closer to water than thick gear oil.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA