Control Arm bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atlanticbritish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@atlanticbritish You sell the green poly LCA bushings, as well as orange ones. I was always under the impression that the orange bushes were softer than the green but your chart above indicates otherwise. Can you confirm? I want as close to OEM firmness as possible. Thanks!

Yes, with the PolyBush brand of bushings, Blue color are the softest and Red are the firmest... Orange is a midgrade of firmness with the PolyBush brand and closest to stock.

As I mentioned above, not all manufacturers follow the color scale... there's other polyurethane bushing manufacturers that use other colors altogether - like purple, for example.

The actual shore rating code number is the hardness identifier (color is not a good identifier, since manufacturers do not always follow the color standards.)

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, with the PolyBush brand of bushings, Blue color are the softest and Red are the firmest... Orange is a midgrade of firmness with the PolyBush brand and closest to stock.

As I mentioned above, not all manufacturers follow the color scale... there's other polyurethane bushing manufacturers that use other colors altogether - like purple, for example.

The actual shore rating code number is the hardness identifier (color is not a good identifier, since manufacturers do not always follow the color standards.)

So to confirm Atlantic British, the green bushes you sell are between blue and orange and have a softer feel than orange- Correct?

atlanticbritish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So to confirm Atlantic British, the green bushes you sell are between blue and orange and have a softer feel than orange- Correct?

I'll have to find out the exact shore ratings for these bushings. The red, orange and blue bushings we sell are Polybush brand from the UK.

https://www.polybush.co.uk/images/Presentation3.png

The green 85A bushings in the control arm assemblies are from a different polyurethane bushing brand manufacturer.

Stay tuned.

Thx.

Last edited:

LR4andC4GTS

Reaction score
M '13 LR4 needed front lower control arms replaced around 28,000 miles, which seemed awfully early too me. Perhaps it was sitting too much with previous owner. Atlantic British sells a more durable firm version for less, but I was able to get dealer to replace free under after market warranty, so I stayed with OEM. Drives like new since. So, 80,000 miles seems pretty good. The cost would have been about $1,100 if I had to come out of pocket.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought factory Genuine from Landrover Merriam and Goodyear put them on for about $400 but now they've stopped using customer purchased parts. To do over I would replace all of it at once and let them do the alignment.

atlanticbritish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to find out the exact shore ratings for these bushings. The red, orange and blue bushings we sell are Polybush brand from the UK.

https://www.polybush.co.uk/images/Presentation3.png

The green 85A bushings in the control arm assemblies are from a different polyurethane bushing brand manufacturer.

Stay tuned.

Thx.

OK - we checked with Polybush in the UK and this upgraded graphic shows their confirmed Shore Hardness Ratings for their line of Red, Orange and Blue polyurethane bushings.

polybush-hardness-overview.png

So the Red is their firmest bushing at 85A rating.

That would be a firm bushing, but not extra firm or race car firmness (which would typically be 90A+)

The green polyurethane urethane bushings that come stock in our new control arms assemblies are also 85A firm rating.

Thx.

Last edited:

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK - we checked with Polybush in the UK and this upgraded graphic shows their confirmed Shore Hardness Ratings for their line of Red, Orange and Blue polyurethane bushings.

So the Red is their firmest bushing at 85A rating.

That would be a firm bushing, but not extra firm or race car firmness (which would typically be 90A+)

The green polyurethane urethane bushings that come stock in our new control arms assemblies are also 85A firm rating.

Thx.

I have to add to this thread since I used it to make a decision.
Wife has a 2013 LR4 with 91k still in CPO but "rubber is not covered": what BS.
Dealer wanted $1800 (***?) for Front control arms and $900 for rear brakes: $2700 for those math challenged members.
Went to Atlantic British, got all the parts for less than $750, had my mechanic install them for less than $600.
Hell yeah I feel $1350 richer! Thanks Atlantic British!

The green bushings are a touch stiffer than stock, but it's a very small deal and turn in is much better (not that that matters for a 5000# SUV but hey, I'm a sports car guy).
We love this V8 LR4, driving it till the wheels fall off.

Oh, also, I considered doing the LCA's at home, like so many here have, since I'm semi competent with a wrench, but my mechanic said good thing you did not, he needed an air chisel to get out the bolts. Plus the alignment... so glad I didn't try in this heat.

RoverGhost

Reaction score
I used the Poly oranges on both my LR3 and RRS I was very happy and they do last and hold up very well. I did them on the LR3 at 90k with the full kit front and rear. When I sold it it at 220k still drove very nice and solid.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 16 orange ones and while they hold just fine, I do find them too rigid on ”washboard”-surfaced dirt roads. Also had a control arm incident to which they might have contributed somewhat...

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reviving a bit of a zombie thread here, I know, but hopefully helps to know I've read through this one.

A year or so ago I replaced the stock LCA bushings/bushes in front with the red poly bushings from Lucky 8. For whatever reason, one of them failed on a trail in Moab. I think it is actually difficult to get enough of the grease to stick to the bearing surfaces, and it probably stuck and tore itself. And since there is no way to inject grease once it is installed, your installation is crucial. They do seem to transfer more vibration and noise than the stock ones did.

I'm actually thinking I might go back to regular bushings and re-use the old LCA's, which I still have. From what I've read here, the Meyle HD units might be my best bet. Does anyone have a source for the bushings alone?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut