control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had to have both front lower control arms replaced on my 05 LR3 HSE... about 1300 bones. (they did the whole arms, not just the bushings). About 56,000 miles on the truck, was getting clunking at low speed stepping on brakes over bumps.

Service dept said that my bolts were completely seized on and they had to cut them off. Asked if my truck had been in alot of salt? (Which it hasnt... its been in south). It's not like we have much salt/snow in TN and the truck is 99.99% surface rust free even underneath.

They were great and didnt charge extra for it, but I was just wondering if this is normal? Surprised me.

merrion13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased an 06 and before buying it, had the dealer pay my Indy rover mechanic to replace them. He needed to use a sawzall and said that 80% of the control arm jobs he does require cutting them.

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
Consider it a good thing because it's recommended, if not required, to use new bolts when swapping out the FLCAs. If they have to cut them you know for sure they were replaced. Last thing you need is for one of those bolts to break on the highway!

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK Rides like new LR3 now

Got it - thanks for the heads up. I did notice on the invoice they line itemed out new bolts as well. BTW... the thing drives ever so tightly now... it was still nice before, but a bit of clunking and general looseness, etc. Tight tight tight now. Very happy. Wallet is not thrilled but on the highway its' much better.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New control arms make a huge difference in any car. Good investment! Totally know what you mean about the wallet thing though. Ouch.

ar_ken

Reaction score
Funny, I just had the exact same thing done at the dealer today... no more knocking noises, practically driving like new... now just waiting for the rears to go.........

and yes, the bolts were rusted on mine too, but I'm up in Canada and we use a lot of roadsalts in the winter..... still no rust on the truck though (no surface rust).. impressed with the paint finish so far

Truck now @ 74k (119k km)....

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had mine done--98,000 miles. No more banging underneath.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4