Corroded backup camera harness ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChicagoLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My backup camera and parking sensors stopped working on my 2013 LR4. The screen displayed "camera unavailable please contact your dealer".

The dealer is saying the backup camera wiring harness is corroded and not covered under my Assurant extended warranty. Cost to repair is $785.

Anyone have experience with this issue ?

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No direct experience. If it were me, I'd see if one or more connectors is what corroded, and look to replace those myself.

ChicagoLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to DIY but not sure where to begin. Are the connectors easy to access ? Dealer is saying bumper needs to be removed which I find suspect.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this happen and it ended up being a short in the front parking sensor harness. Even though it was just the parking sensor bit, it still disables the camera.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t dealt with this particular issue, but it’s probably DIY’able if you’re willing to take stuff apart. If the corrosion is in the parking sensors, pretty sure you’d need to remove the bumper. If the corrosion is in the camera harness, you’ll probably need to take the inside panel off the tailgate to get to it. Not that any of this is difficult, but everyone has their own comfort level.

I believe the rear bumper cover requires removing part of that rear wheel trim moulding to access a hidden screw, remove taillights to access a couple of hidden screws, then there are a series of screws across top (put down tailgate to access) and bottom of bumper cover. You can find links to copies of manuals and wiring diagrams floating around on this forum and other places that will illustrate (google D4 and wiring diagram, or D4 workshop manual). You could probably also find youtube vids on removing the bumper cover as well.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As noted above, look for a shorted out parking sensor first. That can cause the error message you are seeing.

To answer your question, yes, both my rear camera and camera wiring harness needed to be replaced. Apparently the gasket behind that rear bump-out (Where the hatch release button, license plate light and camera are located) wears out and leaks. They said mine was filled to the top with water when they opened it.

LeeThal

Reaction score
On my MY2010 the reversing camera fault turned out to be a connection located in the head lining just inside the rear lift up door. Easy solution - replace the connection with a hard wired soldered connection - if it needs repairing cut it. My camera works better than ever. Note the LR solution was to replace the camera - $$$$

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV