CPO warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm picking up my brand spanking used 2013 LR4 this weekend!
My first of thousands of questions is about the CPO warranty.
How many scheduled services are there between 25000 and 100000 miles? Sounds like I have to do them to keep the warranty going? Do they HAVE to be done at the dealership? What about oil changes, can I do those myself?

Thanks
(up next, tire questions, oil questions, and other redundant questions)

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious about the CPO myself. My local dealer tends to always have current model year "used/demo" LR4's with 1,000 miles on them that they offer with 5yr 100,000 CPO warranties for 5-6K under original MSRP. Seems like a good option to me, but I cannot get any real details on the CPO warranty.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't recall reading anywhere in the owners manual or service book that you have to use the dealer for maintenance to maintain the regular new car warranty or CPO warranty.

From my LR3 ownership experience, the CPO warranty will come in handy to replace ball joints, control arms, tie rods, bushings, steering shaft, wheel hubs and other items that simply wear out. These require no maintenance so any warranty claims should be easy.

I will have the dealer do the fluid changes on the transmission and differentials just to make any warranty claims on these more expensive items easier.

I will also have the dealer do new brakes. I tried an Indy mechanic for an LR3 brake job and he ruined the parking brake shoes. The aftermarket rotors also rusted much faster than the OEM brake rotors.

However, I am taking my chances and doing my own oil changes. LR requires that expensive Castrol oil, but then changes it every 15K miles. I am using Mobil 1 5W-20 and changing it every 7500 miles. Mobil 1 is a good quality oil and you can get it at a reasonable cost at Walmart. I use OEM oil filters from Atlantic British. They suggested I use OEM filters during the warranty period so an engine failure could not be blamed on an aftermarket oil filter. I also save all oil and oil filter receipts in the event I need them for a warranty claim.

Here is a great video on how to change the oil yourself: (Thanks umbertob!)

http://landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24881&highlight=change+video

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious about the CPO myself. My local dealer tends to always have current model year "used/demo" LR4's with 1,000 miles on them that they offer with 5yr 100,000 CPO warranties for 5-6K under original MSRP. Seems like a good option to me, but I cannot get any real details on the CPO warranty.

That sounds like a potentially enticing deal. I'm not in the market but just out of curiosity where is this dealer located?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every dealer sells demo and loaner vehicles. I would consider buying a demo that was driven by the owner of the dealership for 1000 miles. But a vehicle that was used as a demo or loaner could have endured a rather abusive first 1000 miles. Most people that take out a demo for a test drive want to "see what this thing can do".

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every dealer sells demo and loaner vehicles. I would consider buying a demo that was driven by the owner of the dealership for 1000 miles. But a vehicle that was used as a demo or loaner could have endured a rather abusive first 1000 miles. Most people that take out a demo for a test drive want to "see what this thing can do".

I get that, and maybe I was reading something into it that wasn't intended, but to me it suggested that this dealer had more than the usual number of these vehicles.

Not sure I agree that "most people" thrash a demo vehicle around the block but you always have to wonder how it was driven, I'll grant you that!

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR Harrisburg, PA

They have 4 "used" 2015 LR4's now. It looks like 2 I was looking at last week were just sold and they replaced them with 2 new ones. I guess they must keep 4 demos all the time and have them for sale as used at the same time as they seemingly always them for sale.

I honestly think they do it on purpose so they can stick the CPO warranty on it and market the lower price. Sort of a sales tactic if you will...Anything to move vehicles!

I did think about how people drive loaners, but then again, most LR buyers are not the type to beat the hell out of something they have to give right back to the dealer. Floor it a few times, yes, but go off-roading on some wild adventure, I doubt it. The darn things break now matter what you do anyway, so with the longer warranty it seems like a tradeoff...

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer told me that I HAVE to have the annual service done BY THEM, which includes DIY crap like pollen filters and oil changes in order to keep the CPO in effect. I don't know if they are BSing me. It'd be hard to believe they wouldn't cover the control arms or the compressor because I did my own pollen filter. How much is this annual service anyway? Forgot to ask.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer told me that I HAVE to have the annual service done BY THEM, which includes DIY crap like pollen filters and oil changes in order to keep the CPO in effect. I don't know if they are BSing me. It'd be hard to believe they wouldn't cover the control arms or the compressor because I did my own pollen filter. How much is this annual service anyway? Forgot to ask.

This may be a good question to send to Land Rover North America to get the real answer. They pay for any CPO warranty claims. Just like any regular warranty claims get paid by Land Rover North America.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I found on the Land Rover USA website:

Land Rover recommends retaining your receipts and records of regular maintenance and emergency repairs. To maintain coverage under the Limited Warranty your vehicle must be serviced as recommended by Land Rover. (See your Retailer for complete Limited Warranty coverage details.)

Seems vague - so you have to follow the maintenance schedule that came with the vehicle. But does the work have to be done by a Land Rover dealer? I'll stop by the dealer to find out for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72