D2 Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZZROCOOL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So simple question which i'm sure will get lots of heat.

is there anything I can do to my 2003 D2 to make more power?

NOW I know the obvious forced induction, high flow cats & exhaust etc etc.

thats not what I mean, more along the lines of little tricks
maybe
intake (usually doesnt make a bit of difference)
software/chip

etc etc

I am just curious? and yes my cars is running perfectly, all up to date.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Re-Chipping the ECU will make a big difference.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to a 4.6 engine with a RPI Tornado chip plus a RP4 cam roller timing chain and gears. Add a cold air intake then let it breathe all the way back to the tailpipe. This first with port matching those ugly stock head ports to intake and exhaust plus porting the cast iron exhaust unless you can get headers to pass smog. They bring a red flag in my area, stock iron ported flow rather good plus a good design to start with. All this for better flow or else your just wasting your time feeding it if it can't get rid of the exhaust.
Add the 4.6 MASS to the 4.6 engine vs the 3.9 on the 4.6 engine. High flow cats vs those Rover (crap corks they call cats) then add a Borla cat back will also wakes 'em up without any low end loss from any stock specs just all positive gains. A 5 speed will also make for more performance and fun to drive plus not robbing HP. My 4.6 runs like it's a V12 now after adding a couple of home made machined items plus changing out to newer design 4 hole disc injectors. This again made a big performance gain like the first one from a 3.9 to a 4.6 engine swap. My mistake ending up being super clean on smog tests I should of gone with a bigger cam readings of 11 of 100 and 10 of 180 PPM HC smog test results. Granted retuned back for power after the smog test but 20 minutes is well worth the rewards.

I had to ****, the other day about same question was asked and a Rover service tech of 30 years said nothing can be done to increase power or performance. Old 95 D1 here spanks LR3's with their 295 HP CHIT! I'm the one that **** plus it pulls from 400 rpms in 2nd if I have any forward movement at all from a stop sign. Yes they will wake up and torque is the answer plus let it breathe and fuel properly.

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WHy do you need more power, on or off road, while towing and how much more are you looking for? Is you gas mileage bad, if so what is it and what have you done to try and improve it.
Yes, you can send the ECU in and have it rechipped, $500 and lower gas mile will get you more power.
You can always go to gears, 4:11's will wake up your truck, they will drop your power and torques curve down quite a bit and you will fly with stock size tires.

ZZROCOOL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll respond to each

Joey - Thanks and helpful as always ; better or worse milage and when company for the reflash?

Beemer - I am a car guy who does LOTS of custome stuff own a 525hp 2006 M3, a 1972 240Z with almost 300hp, and are extrmely capable of doing my own work. I saw your comment the other day and are suprised that you still are talking about Disco Mike there is a lot to be said for leaving car stock most if not all upgrades have some downside.
SECONDLY they are turcks and you are talking about "spanking" Lr3's and how your laughing WELL try driving an LR3 vs your modded D1 and you'll understand why they are actually laughing at you! Additionally I am not lloking to race my D2 with other SUV's thats like the idiots racing their Honda Civics with their beer can muffler and K&N air filter. ALL that work you did and I can guarantee that current SUV's that qualify as fast would TRASH your hot rod D1. Lastly you should understand that your post (IMO) make you look like an A$$.

DISCO MIKE - The D2 is my daily driver and I am looking to see if there is a way with minimal sacrifice to make it a bit more lively. They are pretty underpowered and sluggish even in good shape, not hatefully so but they are, SO I am looking for a little more pep. I do however appreciate your position that most mods are not worth it unless they are serving a specific purpose.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup laughing so hard one of my LR3 friends wanted a direct swap for my D1. I'm down to two LR3 owners, the third was rolled on the steet and totalled. I drove two of them, they sure added some pork to them, not impressed might as well go for 3 tons empty weight.
When looking at a D1 years ago I about barfed and switched brands after driving a couple automatics. The reason I came back was after driving a D1 5 speed with a 4.9 that wasn't stock. This also a purpose built vehicle like mine for street use only.

LR3 owners laughing, well ****** was the word from a few plus i'm under $19K the total price of this vehicle project. No used value so I built it for my use and have fun, when done i'll part it out but keep the engine.
One of your high standards on engines and has to ask how to increase power sounds rather *** in my book. Enjoy your Rover stock like Mike stated. Being slow you can't snap axles and twist out those rubber POS U joints. My guttless motor seems to do this until a real steel U joint was added plus retrained the left foot to not snap axles.
Purpose built like those that add 350 Chebbies to them looking for fun.

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could though, if you like Rovers, buy one of the new special addition 2010 RR that has 510 horse power right out of the box for only $89,000.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could though, if you like Rovers, buy one of the new special addition 2010 RR that has 510 horse power right out of the box for only $89,000.

Yeah right the War Department would **** me if I even mentioned another Rover purchase in this household.

I would rather stuff the 928 Porsche engine I have in storage and strip the weight off the Rover, convert to two wheel drive if I wanted to have some real street fun.
My friend in Va. snagged a cherry 95 D1 with a transfer box failure for only $1,500 so we both have more spare parts to swap each other.

ZZROCOOL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joey - who so you recommend for the flash and did you notice better or worse milage?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72