DII Grinding Noise - help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Capthook

Reaction score
DII Grinding Noise - [SOLVED]

I had a 99 DII previously, got into this 2000 - and it's making a grinding / vibration noise in D, and N , which feels like its coming from under the truck on the driver's side. I've crawled under the truck in an attempt to figure this out - and see what's grinding but then I cannot hear the sound. Could this be the propeller shaft on it's way out? xfer case? It seems to do it only in low RPMs, intermittently 'clack clack clank clank' - and the truck has reduced power from what I remember of my 99...

Thanks guys

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the U-Joints are about to take out your transmission.

Capthook

Reaction score
So I'll assume I need to remove the front prop shaft, and test the u joins by turning the shaft in opposite directions ; obviously replacing both of them makes sense as it is.

What brand do you use Joey? I hear to stay away from Nepco or something ; does Spicer make a u joint for our trucks?

I'm just gonna replace those u joints instead of replacing it with a new shaft this time. Hopefully this will take care of the sound I'm hearing in D at low RPMs, will keep this updated with the end result.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
U-joints, I just buy whatever fits, I have never been picky as long as it has Zerk fittings. On the D2 they do not, this is why they normally go bad.

Noises could also be CV joints, but these you normally hear when turning.

Capthook

Reaction score
There is a pretty big price difference between the local parts stores :

Napa carries the 'Precision' Brand for $29.99 ea
And Kragen has GMB U-joints for only $12.99 ea

Pretty sizable difference in price. I thought I heard somewhere that the GMB ones are unfavorable. What's your opinion?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not familiar with Kragen's line of stuff, I normally pick my parts up a Napa.

Capthook

Reaction score
Well, did the driveshafts ; put in the Precision u-joints from Napa. One side note - if you need to turn the driveshaft to get to all the bolts, jacking the truck up on one (side) works great. I'm sure you guys knew that.

The sound is still there ; I've attributed it to what (I think) is a muffler touching the frame - I think it's rattling against the frame in the lower RPMs. I'll check again tomorrow. It's all good I figure the u-joints needed done any way, considering I've only owned the truck for a few months now and it's got 100k mi

Thanks again Joey

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you think it is a muffler issue, then I would look at the CATS, they tend to rattle when they go bad.

Capthook

Reaction score
I am 90% sure now that the sound I am hearing is the muffler vibrating against the subframe. I took a metal plate and pushed it between the muffler + the frame = voila, no more odd noise when in D at a light this morning.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge