Disco 5 hit with the ugly stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Fit these four tires with ease with plenty of wiggle room on the sides and several inches in front and behind these vertical standing tires, without folding my rear seats.
What kind of tires did you get?

I stuffed 1/2 a garage bay of household junk and bagged trash into my LR4 this morning. Old shelves, boxes of tile, my wife's old Pilates device, tons of Amazon Prime boxes, etc. The guy at the county dump was amazed at how much stuff I kept pulling out of my vehicle...
I had a similar experience at Home Depot loading bags of mulch in the back. They were amazed how many I fit in there. And then they looked at me like a ******* when they saw the wheel wells almost resting on the tires once we loaded 40 bags in there or whatever. When I turned it on and the air suspension kicked in to bring it back up to normal height... there was a whole lot of, "Da-amn!! Did you see that??!!" :laugh:

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread has become really both fun and sad read :). Here is one more reason for me to hug my LR4 today:

View attachment 7695

Amazes me how much room LR3/4 got. Fit these four tires with ease with plenty of wiggle room on the sides and several inches in front and behind these vertical standing tires, without folding my rear seats. I had to insert paper towel rolls in front and behind the tires to prevent them from rocking back and forth as i drove.

Can Ugly-5 do that?

I stuffed 1/2 a garage bay of household junk and bagged trash into my LR4 this morning. Old shelves, boxes of tile, my wife's old Pilates device, tons of Amazon Prime boxes, etc. The guy at the county dump was amazed at how much stuff I kept pulling out of my vehicle. When I was finished, I flipped the seats back up, reinstalled my cargo cover, gave him a wave and was on my merry way.

All that useful space is killing mine :( There's so much more utility than my wife's RRS or our best couple-friend's cars, so it seems every time we go anywhere it's in my LR4. The miles are piling on fast, which makes this situation we find ourselves in (no suitable replacement) hit even harder for me than I thought it would. Really sucks.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I turned it on and the air suspension kicked in to bring it back up to normal height... there was a whole lot of, "Da-amn!! Did you see that??!!"

BAHAHAHA!!

It may be my imagination but I'm pretty sure that my LR4s have auto-adjusted while I'm loading and the engine is off. Am I dreaming?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BAHAHAHA!!

It may be my imagination but I'm pretty sure that my LR4s have auto-adjusted while I'm loading and the engine is off. Am I dreaming?
I know they will drop the height in particular wheels to level out, but I don't think they have enough pressure in the tank to lift them up. I could be wrong, but if you fill the back with mulch bags you'll tap it out if the engine isn't running. That much I know. :)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's one reason I ordered mine as a 5-seater!!!

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BAHAHAHA!!

They'll only go down with the ignition off. But if you had the ignition/accessories on with just the engine off it may have gone up. If everything is off you'll just hear the solenoids clicking to let other corners down to match.

What's awesome is how fast it adjusts for load or tongue weight. When I load my 4Runner on the trailer it squats to the bumps like toddjb122 did with mulch, so everyone is looking at the ******* towing with an LR4 - as soon as I crank it up that suckers jumps up to level in well under a second, and I pull away with more power and grace than most of their 1/2-ton pickups. The reactions will never get old.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We actually moved a whole house sans the heavy bedroom furniture in the LR4. Boxes, ironing board, lamps, garage shelves, toold, housewares and whatever else would fit. I have to admit my spouse is so great at fitting things in; we moved all the stuff over a narrow country road and the LR4 handled just like it was empty. I love the air suspension. No RR or other vehicle, maybe a truck, could have done that with ease.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you use the fob remote to adjust height (with doors shut and hazards on, as explained in the manual), the suspensions should only lower - not rise - when the engine is not running.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to be nice now that I am not longer a Land Rover owner. That said, I found this thread worth a good laugh! We have a lot of LRxs in my areas of Denver (Highlands Ranch) and every time I see one my thought is, that just looks sharp. Plus, I know the utility of it. But there are a couple of Discovery (5) in the area and when I see them I definitely don't get the same emotional response - once I realize what it actually it. It just seems to scream "compromise" at me. Which had me thinking this morning ... there have been a few action movies over the past few years where London is one of the locations and I would often see an LR4 featured if not a Range Rover. (The bad guys seem to always drive the Range Rovers.) And was thinking that if they attempted to use a Discovery 5 in that role, no one would even notice. It simply is not unique. It doesn't stand out. It doesn't "represent" anything. It "sort of" blends in - or maybe just disappears into the "typical", the "meh", the "yet another crossover". I remember that Acura had something going with some recent Avengers/Thor/whatever movies and to be honest the MDXs they were using just looked out of place. Not only did it not make me interested in the brand or the vehicle, it made roll my eyes and chuckle. I think the same would be true if Land Rover attempted to get the Discovery featured in some action or adventure film.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM