Disco II breather cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xengineguy

Reaction score
Was working on my disco today and I thought I would pass on some of what I found. This disco has been maintained very well. But... when looking at some small oil leaks on the valve covers, I stated to think Why do so many disco leak oil ? First removed the oil filler cap,started the engine then placed my hand over fill tube...To my surprise I found pressure. Not alot but you could feel it push and build slightly with time. Reved the engine a little didnt seem to make a difference. Removed the breather hose from the right valve cover to find the oil seperator completly plugged...Removed the seperator by spraying a small amount of throttle body cleaner into the ****** let it set while,then pulled and wiggled it out of the ******. Cleaned and reinstalled... Left side hose,removed,cleaned
reinstalled(no oil seperator in this side.) Results: No more pressure!!!!! Now I have a small amount of vacuum at the fill tube !!! Easy check for vacuum, place a small sheet of paper over the fill tube with the engine running. The paper will dimple in the center showing the vac. Hope this helps everyone.:proud:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Good info...

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I must check this asap.

Last edited:

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very practical test - will try asap; mucho gracias!

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was working on my disco today and I thought I would pass on some of what I found. This disco has been maintained very well. But... when looking at some small oil leaks on the valve covers, I stated to think Why do so many disco leak oil ? First removed the oil filler cap,started the engine then placed my hand over fill tube...To my surprise I found pressure. Not alot but you could feel it push and build slightly with time. Reved the engine a little didnt seem to make a difference. Removed the breather hose from the right valve cover to find the oil seperator completly plugged...Removed the seperator by spraying a small amount of throttle body cleaner into the ****** let it set while,then pulled and wiggled it out of the ******. Cleaned and reinstalled... Left side hose,removed,cleaned
reinstalled(no oil seperator in this side.) Results: No more pressure!!!!! Now I have a small amount of vacuum at the fill tube !!! Easy check for vacuum, place a small sheet of paper over the fill tube with the engine running. The paper will dimple in the center showing the vac. Hope this helps everyone.:proud:

Hi;

Finally got at mine - and it was jammed full of crud as well - I put a new one in along with new hoses just to be safe and it is good to go now for vacuum.

Wolf

xengineguy

Reaction score
breather cleaning

Glad to hear it helped ! Everyone should check,esp if they have peskey oil leaks...
I also enlarged the hole in the plastic fitting that screws into the intake to 3/16" .This is just a test,it didnt seem to affect the idle at all ... Will keep everyone posted. Mike

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink