Discovery 4 Sat Nav reset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

echiriff

Reaction score
I bought mine online through Land Rover redirected from NavTek. They are the only ones that can assign the code and it’s for one vehicle only otherwise people would by one stick and use it on multiple cars. I think the eBay seller gave you a used one and lied about the code. My update took about a half hour. Good luck!

rally3

Reaction score
The USB stick can be used multiple times, it is the unlock code that authorizes it to work, When I worked at the dealer we only has 2 USB sticks for upgrading, (every time an update would come out we would get a new stick)
and yes the code can only officially be generated by Nav tek/here to guarantee a valid key

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am a noob so how would be the best way to go about getting google maps?

It was a joke but not a good one. The 2011 tech is laughably so bad there is no point in updating. Even updated the system is not updated considering there are now systems with live updates (accidents, photo radar, weather alerts, construction with alternative recommended routes in real time. Updating in car nav systems is so....2011 lol.

Best to place your phone up in the instrument cluster and voila new fancy schmancy Audi like instrument cluster. Bonus is you can take it with you.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a joke but not a good one. The 2011 tech is laughably so bad there is no point in updating. Even updated the system is not updated considering there are now systems with live updates (accidents, photo radar, weather alerts, construction with alternative recommended routes in real time. Updating in car nav systems is so....2011 lol.

Best to place your phone up in the instrument cluster and voila new fancy schmancy Audi like instrument cluster. Bonus is you can take it with you.
Something else I've considered (since I've gone back to Apple land) would be to put an iPad mini on the dash (more or less mounted permanently) and then let the data sharing from the phone provide the internet needed for Waze/other apps (music, etc). Use it as bluetooth audio streamer too rather than trying to update the head unit or replace it with some 3rd party crapola. Make it so you can pull it off to access the main screen when needed/required.

Jermgallo

Reaction score

hahahaha yes its very 2011 for sure! Seems like everything after 2013 is when nav really made the turn for the better. I guess will keep the trusty phone and tablet on mounts for now. Might look into the new Garmin overlander GPS at some point

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve done this with an iPad mini. Worked fine but it just seemed as if using my iPhone was just as good and left the dash a little cleaner so I went back to phone only.

The built-in GPS and audio beg for a better solution though.

Something else I've considered (since I've gone back to Apple land) would be to put an iPad mini on the dash (more or less mounted permanently) and then let the data sharing from the phone provide the internet needed for Waze/other apps (music, etc). Use it as bluetooth audio streamer too rather than trying to update the head unit or replace it with some 3rd party crapola. Make it so you can pull it off to access the main screen when needed/required.

echiriff

Reaction score
Although Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze look better and are constantly being updated, they are no good off-road and they become useless if the there's no cell signal. The maps in your Rover (albeit no as friendly) will work always. I just wish the interface and address entry was less cumbersome and counter intuitive (daily having to switch states in a different screen before entering an address instead of being able to enter all at once). So I use all.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV