Diy timing chain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClevelandLR4

Reaction score
I hear lots of people using mobile one and now I m tempted.
5w20 reccomended per your user manual ? Mine says 0w20.

I keep thinking if temp sensor is giving all good readings while actual temp in engine could be higher! That could bake the oil! While ECU and gauges think all readings are ok !
With such a good oil one would think it will keep engine very clean!

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I hear lots of people using mobile one and now I m tempted.
5w20 reccomended per your user manual ? Mine says 0w20.

I just did my oil change last night an it took 10 mins with the fluid extractor. I usually change the oil filter every other oil change. Mobil1 5w20 high mileage is fine. There's extra additives, but its fine.

Looking at the thick oiled bolts from the cams sprockets I was going to change over to Royal Purple. It cleans the internals pretty good.

Check this video out,

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read up. IIRC there are complaints about RP as well. I don't really get into the oil debates, but there were some Porsche guys years ago who didn't like the stuff at all.

No dog in this fight, just make an informed decision. I made my Mobil One bed some time ago, so I'm lying in it for better or worse

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read up. IIRC there are complaints about RP as well. I don't really get into the oil debates, but there were some Porsche guys years ago who didn't like the stuff at all.

No dog in this fight, just make an informed decision. I made my Mobil One bed some time ago, so I'm lying in it for better or worse

oh yeah, absolutely would do my homework before switching away from Mobil 1. I’m quite impressed with the cleaning of the engine in the videos, but also realize there’s more to it...

I am just starting to think about oils and have my toe in the water by running 0w20 instead of the recommended 5w20. I’ve always run Mobil 1 to manufacturer spec in every car I’ve owned without giving it a ton of thought. Next frontier for me will be some of the oil threads to learn a bit more.

One thing I won’t be changing is my 5,000 mile intervals on the oil changes.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you own a 2013 or newer, you already have the updated timing chain guides on yours. Keep your oil changes to 7k miles or below and you should be good.

Ryan, every time you say that, you sound more and more like you believe it. I wanna believe, man!!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just starting to think about oils and have my toe in the water by running 0w20 instead of the recommended 5w20.

Lower “w” number means lower viscosity, right? Is the theory better *********** and coverage by going with 0w20? I have also considered it but haven’t done it yet.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lower “w” number means lower viscosity, right? Is the theory better *********** and coverage by going with 0w20? I have also considered it but haven’t done it yet.
Someone who knows more than me can definitely correct me where I’m wrong...As I understand it the 0w applies to when the engine is cold. Theory being that the oil kicks around the engine without much resistance when it needs it most (on startup when most wear occurs). 5w oils predate full synthetics and I think Land Rover service now only puts 0w20 in even the older 5.0 v8 engine with the 5w20 spec. Again, new to the entire oil scene. Lots of good discussions on this site.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut