Diy timing chain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClevelandLR4

Reaction score
And use right oil
Just mobile or best Castrol not enough
It needs to be STJLR 51.5122 specification. Castrol E( was only dealer supplied) becoming available in market.
I m using Motul specific. It is only made for this engines.its on amazon

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And use right oil
It needs to be STJLR 51.5122 specification. Castrol E( was only dealer supplied) becoming available in market.

There's an exhaustive oil change thread on here somewhere, but Motul is what I use. Another good one is Ravenol.

ClevelandLR4

Reaction score
Huy
Which oil you used?
This much tar buildup is concerning. The other day saw royal purple oil use on bmw engine before and after video of open engine showe lots of gunk cleaned up by royal purple.
Do we need some thing like that oil every now and then with high detergent to keep engine cleaner?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And use right oil

Mobil.

The STJLR 51.5122 specification relates to fuel economy and is 0W-20 specific. The Ford 925 spec applies to 5W-20, is ancient and Ford has moved on but LR has not ? If you want to pour 0W-20 in your engine that is your choice but I have a hard enough time with 5W-20 lol. Change on tight intervals, this is the key from a 8 year owner of a 5.0 on original guides.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil.

The STJLR 51.5122 specification relates to fuel economy and is 0W-20 specific. The Ford 925 spec applies to 5W-20, is ancient and Ford has moved on but LR has not ? If you want to pour 0W-20 in your engine that is your choice but I have a hard enough time with 5W-20 lol. Change on tight intervals, this is the key from a 8 year owner of a 5.0 on original guides.

I made the move to Mobil 0w20 and have noticed a smoother running engine and improved fuel economy. I’d like to see the internals but not $5000 badly. I’m at 130k on the clock and all indications are everything is tight. Change every 5k which is probably overkill, but I’d rather that with how easy the oil changes are than pushing the alternative.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made the move to Mobil 0w20 and have noticed a smoother running engine and improved fuel economy. I’d like to see the internals but not $5000 badly. I’m at 130k on the clock and all indications are everything is tight. Change every 5k which is probably overkill, but I’d rather that with how easy the oil changes are than pushing the alternative.

What engine?

Huy Tran

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huy
Which oil you used?
This much tar buildup is concerning. The other day saw royal purple oil use on bmw engine before and after video of open engine showe lots of gunk cleaned up by royal purple.
Do we need some thing like that oil every now and then with high detergent to keep engine cleaner?

Castrol EDGE EP 5w20 @ 8K for the past 3 year of ownership.
Got the car with 85K, so guessing the damage was already done.
The thing is, I just did an oil change less than 1K ago and the oil looks dark. Don't think I'm overheating.
I saw that video pop up on my YouTube. Looked pretty convincing.

Huy Tran

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ignorance is bliss man! Why’d you have to go and show us that? Lol. I like thinking my 5k oil changes keep things from looking that way in there...now I’m not gonna sleep
LOL.
Keep digging myself deeper. Stripped the head on one of those sprocket bolts and tore one of the filter on top of it all. Dealer wants $14 per bolt and $40 per filter.
Two months after starting this "project", I'm still chasing parts.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
8961-b28b083e05beefe541d38bd0c1969e1f.jpg

Look at all that tar.

Eek... Mine was like that too. I just cleaned it with brake cleaner and put it back in after I finished my beer.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV