Do car washers strip of your LR3's wax?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. My LR3 is a work truck. It spends as much time in the mud, dirt, dust, rocks, scratchy bushes, etc. as it does on the highway. Babying it through a wash just seems dumb. It goes through a regular car wash every time it gets too disgusting to touch (about once a week). I will be suprised if I EVER hand wash/wax it (I never did on the old 05 LR3 or the 3 cars before that).

What amazes me is that you guys are complaining about some micro scratches in the clear coat on a vehicle that is designed to climb mountains. I think this is all like putting ribbons and bows on a pit bull. But that is just me.

David

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To each his own I guess, David.

When I first got my LR3 I ran into some Defender guys on a trail and they commented that they don't worry about scratches...if they got a deep one, they'd just pull out a paintbrush and touch it up! It was all non clear coat for that vehicle.

If mine were a work truck I'd feel the same way...and would save a lot of time on appearance maintenance! As it is, the longer I keep it looking new, the longer I'll be happy driving it. Once it starts showing its age is when I'll probably look around. Everyone likes driving a new car, so I try to keep mine looking that way for as long as possible.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. My LR3 is a work truck. It spends as much time in the mud, dirt, dust, rocks, scratchy bushes, etc. as it does on the highway. Babying it through a wash just seems dumb. It goes through a regular car wash every time it gets too disgusting to touch (about once a week). I will be suprised if I EVER hand wash/wax it (I never did on the old 05 LR3 or the 3 cars before that).

What amazes me is that you guys are complaining about some micro scratches in the clear coat on a vehicle that is designed to climb mountains. I think this is all like putting ribbons and bows on a pit bull. But that is just me.

David
David,

I agree with your line of thought here, but this is also a "luxury" vehicle, and an expensive one at that. So although most people enjoy using their LR3 (and FFRR, RRS, etc) for what they were really intended (off road), most also enjoy the luxury side, which includes keeping it looking nice. In fact, Land Rover basically started the whole "Luxury SUV" class. And if I'm going to spend $50K on a vehicle, I'm going to use it as it was intended (track a Porsche, off road a LR3, etc) - at the same time, I'm going to take care of it too :biggrin:

-Rich

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On that line of reasoning...I'd like to know what percentage of U.S. RR owners take their vehicles off road? The RR is as capable as the LR3 (let's not nitpick here) but I see it as the most often paprazzi photographed vehicle for Hollywood types getting into their vehicles.

Point being...well most of the people on this forum buy these trucks for offload capability, the larger percentage of owners don't use them that way. Thus the bigger wheels, higher gloss, lowering, etc. etc. makes sense. (for some) :)

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be blunt there are some folks for whom a dirty scratched-up LR3 is a badge of pride - and for others a clean, shiny, well detailed LR3 is a statement of their lifestyle.

Each to their own I guess.

If you want to keep your paintwork in good order, then proper washing, some polishing to remove surface defects, and a good wax, or sealant, will keep everything in good order.

Modern sealants provide the best way to provide long term paint protection - certainly far longer than waxes - so take a look at those as the last step product (LSP) on your paintwork.

A good sealant will mean that you only have to polish and seal twice a year - which sounds like little enough effort for a great looking car.

That's my route any way - will be giving my LR3 it's first polish and seal shortly.

Here's my previous efforts with other cars - wash/clay/polish/seal - all DIY.

IMG_4196.jpg

IMG_4246.jpg

IMG_4271.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635