Dual battery setup...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody set up their LR3 with a second battery? It's been a while since this has been discussed, thought I'd check to see if anybody has attempted to do this. I'd like the second battery to run fans for a couple dog crates, maybe a winch, air compressor, etc. without worry about draining the main starter battery.

Anybody?

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does LR3 come with a extra space for an extra battery or "squeeze" an extra battery wherever you find a space kind of deal?

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oops! Found answer to my question from the website:

"SPECIAL NOTE :- The Discovery 3 and Range Rover Sports already have an Auxiliary battery compartment. The Auxiliary Battery is secured in place with the genuine Land Rover auxiliary battery bracket and bolts supplied with our kits and NO BATTERY TRAY IS NEEDED"

broiler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the ignorant question, but what's the purpose of having dual batteries?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of reasons to do it. First off, running the radio or dvd player (or anything) with the car off drains the battery very quickly. I assume that it's because when you have the key in position 1, that there are plenty of background things running. Many people like to have on board air compressors, refrigerators, winches etc...that draw a big load and the second battery offers the assurance that you won't be left stranded out on your adventure.

DJLVA

Reaction score
The system is really ******* the power drain, I use the vehicle to work out of and the tail is down with things plugged . Can't hurt particularly in cold weather. Tim is the Man in OZ, that will ship the kit to you. Works out to about $168.00 US shipped.

DJLVA

Reaction score
BTW, I know this is a common topic/question. Has anyone used the Optima D34 or Interstate MTP-H8 as replacements/2nd battery choices?. Specs look better than OEM and are top mount, just wondering about fit.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For extra juice, that's not much in my opinion and I am seriously considering it. Has anybody actually used that kit? Is it really easy to install as it claims? - Brian

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo