Dual battery setup...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One question I have is, is there a way to tell when the primary battery dies?

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed this kit about 4 months ago and it was really easy. I also ran my own cables to the rear to run an Engel fridge. It has worked great and the beauty of this kit is that it keeps both batteries connected until the primary battery voltage drops to something around 12.5 if I remember correctly. This effectively gives the secondary battery about 20% more life than it would have alone. With the second battery installed I have been leaving the fridge on all the time. I definitely recommend this one.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, craiglud. I sent them an email and got a reply right away. I am totally sold!

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For extra juice, that's not much in my opinion and I am seriously considering it. Has anybody actually used that kit? Is it really easy to install as it claims? - Brian

I've placed an order...will report back when it's installed.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, what's good for 2nd battery? Interstate MTP-H8? I haven't looked at under the hood yet but is 2nd battery same size as stock battery?

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the spare battery is not the same size as primary, it is smaller. I had a friend that had an optima yellow top that he was not using so we made a trade and it has worked great for me. However if I were to buy a battery I have started hearing that interstate makes a really good battery, better than optima, that I would check out before the optima.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had heard that the alternator wasn't good enough to charge two batteries. Not true?

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Boaz, not true, the D3/LR3 alternator is quite capable of charging three batteries at the same time.

As to batteries to be fitted in the LR3’s Auxiliary Battery Compartment, if your going to buy one, make sure you have your LR3 with you and make sure the battery not only fits but that the battery compartment cover goes back on with the battery in place.

Also note, many batteries require a special bracket be made to hold the battery in place.

The reason most people use the Optima D34 is because this battery is a perfect fit and the genuine Land Rover battery bracket fits the D34 so there is no modifying needed.

Cheers,

DJLVA

Reaction score
Thanks Tim for offering a great support item. Good time to buy an Optima, they have a $25.00 rebate going on. Amazon has the D34 for $173.20 with free shipping. Subtract the rebate, and a great primary or secondary battery for >$150.00.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. What a great product.

I'm still unclear on how it works if I am not going to run the permanent power outlet. (although I would like to have that). Will this just let me run my radio or other accessories until the auxiliary battery is dead, for instance, and the main battery is only 20% depleted?

I guess my question is, once installed do I need to make dedicated connections to things that would use the auxillary battery or is it just wired into my system yet protects the main battery. And if so, how does it know when it is time to unprotect the main battery when I want to start the car, for instance.

Good stuff, informative website.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo