Dual battery setup...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't you just buy and store an aux battery in the compartment next to the cranking battery...and if your main batt dies just switch the cables and crank the engine over that way?

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't you just buy and store an aux battery in the compartment next to the cranking battery...and if your main batt dies just switch the cables and crank the engine over that way?

Hi Houm, you can simply parallel the batteries but if you cranking battery goes flat then your auxiliary will be flattened as well.

The idea of installing a dual battery controller is not just to charge the auxiliary battery or to just protect the cranking battery if you flatten the auxiliary while out camping, the controller also works in the opposite direction in that it protects the auxiliary battery should your cranking battery fail.

If you don’t want to go to the expense of fitting a dual battery controller, you could fit a marine battery switch and turn it on and off as needed. This set-up is commonly know as an “Idiot Switch” and the name gives you some idea of you will feel if you forget to set it correctly.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I got the kit and was shopping for Optima but no local store has it??? They have D34/78 instead:

D34-78_Left.jpg

So, I am going to order it online. Saw a couple of them on ebay but not sure it's the right way to go. Does anybody know a reputable online shop for Optima batteries? I live in DE. Thanks. - Brian

DJLVA

Reaction score
Best price I found was Amazon, included free shipping. I don't know if Optima still has the $25.00 rebate going on, but it came out to $150 with the rebate shipped.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, please let me know how this battery fits.

...Driveon, I meant couldn't a person just store an extra battery in the compartment and if they needed it, physically connect the terminals to it. Obviously the anser is "yes." I guess I'm trying to understand all the advantages of having a dual-batt setup.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, please let me know how this battery fits.

...Driveon, I meant couldn't a person just store an extra battery in the compartment and if they needed it, physically connect the terminals to it. Obviously the anser is "yes." I guess I'm trying to understand all the advantages of having a dual-batt setup.

Dual battery setup would keep this extra battery charged up for you. We could certainly debate the battery charge loss over time...but it'd be nice to not worry about it at all.

I'll be curious to hear how flysurfer's install goes. While I would love it for the option of running an "always on" power outlet, it'd be a great peace of mind for that off trail jump start.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finished my install last week. Nice to have the two "always on" outlets.

Install was pretty straight forward, just a couple little snafus. 1) there is no unused grommet in the firewall as indicated in the instructions. No big deal, I ran the cables through a grommet that had a wire loom already installed. 2) The cable from the aux battery to the main battery could have been a few inches longer to make the install easier, but it worked.

Seems to be working as advertised...I'm very pleased with the product.

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi madtownrover, do you have a manual or an automatic.

As to the cable being short, I like to have the cables running between the batteries as short as possible to limit voltage drop BUT was it a tight fit.

Cheers

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi madtownrover, do you have a manual or an automatic.

As to the cable being short, I like to have the cables running between the batteries as short as possible to limit voltage drop BUT was it a tight fit.

Cheers

2005 SE...auto. There aren't any manuals here in the USA

It was tight...but it works. Another inch or two would have been nice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo