EAS Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the temperature went down in the North East, I noticed that I could hear a really loud noise accompanied by a strong vibration.
Being aware that the LR4 doesn't come fitted witha Diesel engine I was pretty surprised.
A few seconds later, I started thinking that it might be the air compressor for the suspension. Stepped out of the car and got closer to it to listen.
It was indeed the compressor making this very particular sound.

I drove to Quebec where the temperatures reached record lows (-30F before windchill) and the sound and vibration was very present any time the compressor worked. I did check the faults with the IIDTool but nothing regarding the BCM. Patrick from Gap Diagnostic sat in my truck and was pretty surprised by the sound as well.

As I came back to Boston, the sound disapeared because the temperature was in the high 40s. But as soon as we were hit by the artic cold I drove to the dealership so they could get a good listen to it.
The mechanic heard right away and joked that he couldn't blame it on the bigger tires. They set me up with an appointment to replace the compressor which should be taken care off in the next couple days.

In the meantime I drive a loaner LR3 which is a world apart from the LR4.

Are there anything I should double check when I get my truck back?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axel, the old style Hitachi compressor (which you should still have on your 2010) is "hanging" on a mount with bolts and some rubber bushings / washers that eventually wear out and start transmitting noise and vibrations to the chassis whenever the unit runs. Strange that the noise would occur only at cold temperatures on yours, but if the compressor shows no other issues, I still think replacing the whole thing may be a bit of an overkill, as it may just be an issue with its mount... If you do replace it, at least you will get the new design compressor by AMK, which should be vastly improved and less troublesome in the long run than the "old" Hitachi they used on LR3 and MY2010-11 LR4s (and RRS.) The AMK unit and its silencer case will hang a bit lower than the current one, robbing you of a little bit of ground clearance in that area, but other than that it should be quieter and more reliable. You don't have rock sliders or current protection under your existing compressor, do you?

Anyway, read this (from a member of our local LR club) to see how, for less than a buck, he solved his recurring "noisy" compressor issues that the dealer wanted $1100 to fix...

Design flaw in the air compressor mounting system (LR3-LR4-RRs, not sure about the RR).

Air Compressor noises, maybe a $0.22 fix.

Over the last year or 2 I have had the Dealership fix a noisy air compressor several times; each time was under warranty so no real big deal. The Air Compressor was making a lot of noise, but the computer was showing nothing wrong and everything on the suspension was working fine, so I would deal with the noise until my next oil change and the dealer would replace the entire compressor, they would chalk it up to warranty.

After each “fix” by the dealer, it would be good for a few months or so then start up again. After the warranty went out, they quoted me $1,100 to fix it again. This time I decided to actually find a solution. I expected to have to manufacture my own mounting bracket and raise it up and out of the way of the off-roading obstacles even considered moving the air compressor and the entire system, thinking that would keep it from happening again once I put a new air compressor on. (which by the way a new replacement air compressor is $150 at the ford dealer, just tell them you have a Eddie Bauer Expedition)

Turns out that the problem was a “Black Fender Washer” that is at the main bolting point of the Air Compressor and the Mounting Bracket. This washer is designed to set recessed into the mounting bracket. The washer is also designed to be a very tight fit. The problem is that after time the washer vibrates over to one side and rubs and knocks up against the mounting bracket, causing a lot of noise.

The dealership’s term for this is: “Your off-roading has knocked the compressor’s exhaust silencer loose, causing damage to the compressor”.

No, the off-roading would just speedup the process of that washer shifting it's location. So I took the washer up to ACE Hardware and got a new one, the new one has an outside diameter 1/8” smaller. The new washer gives it room to slide around over time without coming into contact with the mounting bracket.

For 22 cents, my $1,100 problem is all fixed.

To test this, I loosened the factory washer, placed a flat head screw driver between it and the mounting bracket and re-tightened, the noise was gone. Then I took the screwdriver and slide the washer over a hair, the noise was back. Once I got the new washer on the noise went away again. This time giving me more room for the washer to vibrate without coming into contact with the mounting system.

Last edited:

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder is the extreme cold hardened the rubber bushings and transferred the vibrations to the frame...... I had a similar issue but it was mud... ;)

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Umberto.

It's interesting to read that it's the same compressor than the Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition. $150 sounds much better than the 800 something from British Atlantic or others.

As far as the washer that's even more interesting and makes a lot of sense.

To be honest, I am glad they're swapping the whole thing and next time it happens if out of warranty (certified warranty) I'll change that washer myself.

I do not have sliders at this point, I'm only at the beginning of my adventure with the LR4.

Do you think that I should open the cover to double check that they actually changed the compressor and not just the washer???

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, if it's still under warranty, let them replace whatever they want! :biggrin: I always assume everyone drives the way I do (if I owned a 2010 like you, I'd have at least 100K+ miles on my truck by now and the factory warranty would be an old memory...) and thought this repair would be on your dime.

With the new AMK compressor, the mount is completely different - the unit sits on a sturdy aluminum tray rather than hanging between two posts - so you won't have to deal with bushings, washers, and most likely noise and vibrations anymore. Also, the Ford Expedition compressor is not quite the same and some mods are required, it's not quite plug-n-play as the post above makes it sound.

The plastic cover included with the AMK air pump kit looks completely different than the old one, there will be no mistaking the current compressor for the new unit when you get the vehicle back. No need to remove the lower cover to check.

Last edited:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again Umberto thank you for all the detailed information.
I don't drive far unless I go on vacation or off-road. MA is a "relatively" small state and my home is about 6 miles away from my work ;) I wish I'd get more seat time with the truck. It will happen soon as I'm moving to Albuquerque at the end of June.

michal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axel, the old style Hitachi compressor (which you should still have on your 2010) is "hanging" on a mount with bolts and some rubber bushings / washers that eventually wear out and start transmitting noise and vibrations to the chassis whenever the unit runs. Strange that the noise would occur only at cold temperatures on yours, but if the compressor shows no other issues, I still think replacing the whole thing may be a bit of an overkill, as it may just be an issue with its mount... If you do replace it, at least you will get the new design compressor by AMK, which should be vastly improved and less troublesome in the long run than the "old" Hitachi they used on LR3 and MY2010-11 LR4s (and RRS.) The AMK unit and its silencer case will hang a bit lower than the current one, robbing you of a little bit of ground clearance in that area, but other than that it should be quieter and more reliable. You don't have rock sliders or current protection under your existing compressor, do you?

Anyway, read this (from a member of our local LR club) to see how, for less than a buck, he solved his recurring "noisy" compressor issues that the dealer wanted $1100 to fix...

Thanks for the write up

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
umbertob, Do you know the expected lifetime of the AMK compressor? or have you heard of any of them needing replacement?

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
samcarloso, don't know about expected lifetime... But several LR techs I know have commented at how failures of compressors on newer model years have basically become a non-issue since the switch to the AMK units. They've only been around for a couple of years though, hopefully they stay reliable.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
samcarloso, don't know about expected lifetime... But several LR techs I know have commented at how failures of compressors on newer model years have basically become a non-issue since the switch to the AMK units. They've only been around for a couple of years though, hopefully they stay reliable.
I agree. I had a 2011 with the previous compressor and now the 2013 AMK unit and I notice a tremendous difference in noise and performance. The only negative part, as you mentioned, is that the new unit hangs lower (though there is a fix with the TR bracket and sliders for protection).

Once my compressor goes (hopefully not for a long time), I wonder if I can use the LR3 kit to convert to coil springs? I'd love to get rid of my air suspension.

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9