Emergency key (blade key) not unlocking LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my door card apart and ended up breaking the door lock cable. They're pretty fragile from what I remember, and I remember it isn't uncommon for them to break when removing the door card.

Are you able to lock and unlock your door with the physical lock on the interior of the car? Do it with the ignition on or the car running. I'm assuming the key blade just moves the same parts.

The door card isn't too hard to take off if you have the correct tools (trim removal set, something like https://www.harborfreight.com/trim-and-molding-tool-set-5-piece-64126.html ) and a few torx drivers.

Careful not to scrape/mar the plastic on the door handle trim. It's easy to do, but easy to avoid with the correct tools and prying on the right locations.

I wrapped mine in painters tape to help reduce any damage.

Not sure if that is the route you want to take, but you can at least inspect the cable.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
All locking/unlocking operates totally normally from the key-fob or the door mounted switches.

I can lock the drivers front door with the emergency key, but I cannot unlock it.

This scenario is not discussed in the mechanics manual.

Reluctant to take it apart. Maybe just a better idea to always have two key fobs at all times and change the batteries often... ??

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can lock the drivers front door with the emergency key, but I cannot unlock it.
Does the key not rotate to the unlock position? Or does it rotate, but not unlock?

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotates but does not unlock, no sounds either so no obvious attempt by the mechanism to even try to unlock.
Got it. So this is not a mechanical key/tumbler issue.

My guess is, there is a microswitch attached to the lock tumbler which is supposed to send a lock/unlock signal to the electrical system... and the switch is not sending the "unlock" signal when the key is rotated. If so, the fix may be to replace the microswitch (if possible), or the entire assembly which contains the switch. (??) Less likely, but possible, is a broken wire?

:stupido3:

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
My thoughts as well - that one time it did work feels like an electrical type failure. I am thinking probably a new lockset, (or whatever assembly contains the switch) but since there is only the one on this vehicle it's not an ongoing hassle of multiple keys... It's going to be an open it up and THEN order parts kind of project. Putting it on the to do list...

When I get this completed I will post the lessons here. And probably a video on YouTube.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it. So this is not a mechanical key/tumbler issue.

My guess is, there is a microswitch attached to the lock tumbler which is supposed to send a lock/unlock signal to the electrical system... and the switch is not sending the "unlock" signal when the key is rotated. If so, the fix may be to replace the microswitch (if possible), or the entire assembly which contains the switch. (??) Less likely, but possible, is a broken wire?

:stupido3:
Isn't the mechanical key supposed to let you in even if the battery is dead? I would think that is part of the point. (Asking honestly, as I really do not know)

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't the mechanical key supposed to let you in even if the battery is dead? I would think that is part of the point. (Asking honestly, as I really do not know)
Pretty sure it is.

I'm not around my car for a few days or else I'd play around with it.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point! I believe you are correct. Guess I need to read the owner's manual and see if that sheds any light.

Perhaps there is a mechanical linkage issue going on here also?

:angel:

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is. I had to use mine to lock up while I walked to the parts store with a dead battery. I think it’s most likely a mechanical issue

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA