engine stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Before pulling HP Fuel Pumps, I would run a treatment of BG 44K through the fuel system. I had issues with going into "Reduced Performance" and dealer insisted it was a bad HP pump. Ran treatment and it had been flawless since. One input I had was that HP Fuel Pumps are pretty solid performers when they get the fuel feed.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Well, years ago my Austin Marina had a gas tank that was painted on the inside.
The paint failed and flaked off.
After maybe 20-30 minutes enough paint flakes were sucked up against the fuel tank filter that the engine stalled out.
After sitting for about the same amount of time, they had come off and away we went - for another 20 minutes or so.
My fix was to remove the fuel tank filter, and put in an inline filter that I could take apart clean and put back together again in about 5 minutes.
That car was an adventure!

Not saying that your problem is anything like this, but just for general knowledge about strange stuff that happens...

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they now think its the high pressure fuel pump and i was literally running out of gas. they told me middle of next week. this makes sense except car started right up and ran for a few minutes before stalling however it did stall while actually driving down the road
I would guess it is fuel related. My wife's 2013 had a high pressure pump that went out, but only got Reduced Engine Performance and continued to run, though not great. She was able to get home and I just ordered two fuel pumps (there are two high pressure pump mounted on the right lower front of the engine and one low pressure pump in the fuel tank).

But my 2016 LR4 recently had what you experienced, where it just cut out all together. Was the fuel rail pressure senor. The sensor failed and was indicating too much fuel pressure thereby cutting out the fuel duty cycle, and starving the engine. If you have the GAP tool, you can read live sensor info.

puckball55

Reaction score
I would guess it is fuel related. My wife's 2013 had a high pressure pump that went out, but only got Reduced Engine Performance and continued to run, though not great. She was able to get home and I just ordered two fuel pumps (there are two high pressure pump mounted on the right lower front of the engine and one low pressure pump in the fuel tank).

But my 2016 LR4 recently had what you experienced, where it just cut out all together. Was the fuel rail pressure senor. The sensor failed and was indicating too much fuel pressure thereby cutting out the fuel duty cycle, and starving the engine. If you have the GAP tool, you can read live sensor info.
thats exactly what it was, fuel pressure sensers. i just spent 7 days wondering if i need to say goodbye to it but now ive decided to hang on. really like my v8

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats exactly what it was, fuel pressure sensers. i just spent 7 days wondering if i need to say goodbye to it but now ive decided to hang on. really like my v8
Fantastic! Glad you got it sorted! They are such amazing trucks.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut