Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buddy has these AEV's on his jeep and they look great. If my photoshop skills were better and I had the time I'd love to see how they'd look on an LR. Too bad they are 17" and don't make them for other applications other than jeep.

Attachments

• pint_argent_tbl_2.jpg
    pint_argent_tbl_2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 29

swkingston

Reaction score
You honestly feel they are worth the extra money?

Granted I have exhausted every resource I have been able to find to find a different option and have failed. Struggling to part with $2,300 for these wheels.

I think they are worth the money if you have it to spend. I for one did not, so I opt'ed for 10 spoke LR3 rims. If you are looking for them, there are right now at least 4 sets on craigslist (used to be 5, I just bought a set) across the country. I spent 400 + 94 in shipping for 4 wheels in extraordinary condition and used Contis (that I will sell) to my doorstep. There is a set on ebay now for 899 +125 in shipping that have been in storage for 8 years and practically new. There are options.

I looked at it this way as I had to make compromises between what I wanted and what I could afford. Using "car math" I picked up a set of wheels for $500 (already had a spare in same style). Powdercoating or painting will cost me $300-400. Then I bought 5 LT265/65R18/E BFGs for $1325 and would have spent about the same in just wheels at $2225. I opt'd to save 400 in Powdercoating to put toward a Kaymar rear bar as another compromise.

Are the Compomotives worth it? Absolutely. There are other factors to what its value is to you and only you. Hope this helped.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buddy has these AEV's on his jeep and they look great. If my photoshop skills were better and I had the time I'd love to see how they'd look on an LR. Too bad they are 17" and don't make them for other applications other than jeep.

The only other option that requires quite some modification is going to a smaller braking set-up. I did find a company in Italy that sells a complete kit to go to a smaller brake system so you could actually fit 17" wheels.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they are worth the money if you have it to spend. I for one did not, so I opt'ed for 10 spoke LR3 rims. If you are looking for them, there are right now at least 4 sets on craigslist (used to be 5, I just bought a set) across the country. I spent 400 + 94 in shipping for 4 wheels in extraordinary condition and used Contis (that I will sell) to my doorstep. There is a set on ebay now for 899 +125 in shipping that have been in storage for 8 years and practically new. There are options.

I looked at it this way as I had to make compromises between what I wanted and what I could afford. Using "car math" I picked up a set of wheels for $500 (already had a spare in same style). Powdercoating or painting will cost me $300-400. Then I bought 5 LT265/65R18/E BFGs for $1325 and would have spent about the same in just wheels at $2225. I opt'd to save 400 in Powdercoating to put toward a Kaymar rear bar as another compromise.

Are the Compomotives worth it? Absolutely. There are other factors to what its value is to you and only you. Hope this helped.

This is certainly a path that I am still considering. I can have wheels and tires for just the cost of the wheels. This gives me options for sliders as well. All about balancing the budget.

What spacers did you use with your set-up of the stock LR3 wheels?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why the stock LR sensors won't work with these wheels? I am struggling to also find some TPMS sensors in the 433Mhz frequency.

This is a good question. I believe your 2014 has a different sensor than my 2013, but I forget the details. With that said, I will tell you my experience. My stock 19" wheels were the black-design package wheels. When I got my Compomotives, I tried to use the stock sensor and it definitely did not work. However, other folks were able to use the stock sensors on previous (to 2013) LR4s and some even without the black-design package. I ended up ordering the TPMS from tpmsdirect.com, as there were a few others available, but these were LR and work great. In looking at my stock sensors and the ones I got online, they do have a slight difference in shape and fit. I am still puzzed if the TPMS sensors are different on the black-design package and the standard silver.

I would say you should try to re-use your TPMS, it may work and only need a new re-seal kit if anything. If they don't work, you will know right away before mounting - it just does not line up. I am not sure if there is a source external to the dealership for those TPMS since the 2014 are different?

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say you should try to re-use your TPMS, it may work and only need a new re-seal kit if anything. If they don't work, you will know right away before mounting - it just does not line up. I am not sure if there is a source external to the dealership for those TPMS since the 2014 are different?

I am not entirely sure Fin. I would think it is the same sensor for all wheels. Would cause a serious headache at the plant. Plus I have only found 2 different part numbers, one for the 315 and one for the 433.

My guy at the dealership said he would cut me a deal on sensors, deal being the same price I could get them everywhere else. So, not really a deal. But he said he could get them and they could find out if they would fit the compo's. He did say the system is finicky and he had other people come in with sensors that were not LR and the system wouldn't recognize them. So, it sounds like I will just have to use the LR sensors and hope they fit otherwise I will just have to run without.

I did look at the TPMS direct site and they only have the 315Mhz sensors. So, I am kinda stuck going with the LR ones.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635