Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I have no TPMS in mine. No plan on it either. Super expensive modules and kind of an idiot guide for tire pressure safety. Most of us here on the LR forum are enthusiasts can manage without. I can understand for soccer moms, etc.

"Expensive"?! $60 at Discount Tire...barely $100 at dealer = not "super" expensive. For those of us who rotate all 5 tires, it makes a lot more sense to have all 5 match and wear down evenly.

An unused spare presents issues long term while an equally worn in spare prolongs life of the set by 20% while also providing a perfect replacement if one tire gets an unfixable damage. If you only have a new spare, yet the I damaged tire is worn 50%, you need to replace BOTH tires on that axle. Do the math as well as convenience factor like in the middle of a huge trip.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm personally not experiencing this case. I have HD / full size spare, sitting in my garage, no light. I would be surprised if a HD spec truck also came with an extra receiving sensor. At $50 ea, I'd rather not have extras if I don't need them.

Might be some confusion here but in HD/full size spare optioned vehicles, of course the spare will and should have the wheel mounted sensor emitter. However, no, it's not monitored by the car as far as I know. (I'm thinking back to early LR3 which now I'm not sure but thought they weren't monitoring the spare)

Some companies do however monitor all 5: MB G wagon and I think I've seen it on the GL for example.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My HD pack 2013's full size spare is definitely monitored. I am greeted by the "Check spare tire pressure" message and TPMS icon in the instrument cluster every morning (I do carry a sensor equipped Compo 18" with oversized spare, partially deflated, down there), and my attempts to turn off spare tire monitoring via IIDTool have been unsuccessful. Like I said, no big deal as the warning disappears before I can pull out of my garage.

Perhaps they turned off spare tire monitoring on more recent builds. Can't think of a good reason why they'd to that, but it would explain why some of you don't get a warning about a deflated or missing spare tire even when equipped with HD and a full size spare wheel with sensor.

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Expensive"?! $60 at Discount Tire...barely $100 at dealer = not "super" expensive. For those of us who rotate all 5 tires, it makes a lot more sense to have all 5 match and wear down evenly.

An unused spare presents issues long term while an equally worn in spare prolongs life of the set by 20% while also providing a perfect replacement if one tire gets an unfixable damage. If you only have a new spare, yet the I damaged tire is worn 50%, you need to replace BOTH tires on that axle. Do the math as well as convenience factor like in the middle of a huge trip.

I was going based on a quote from the dealer over here. It was far more expensive. But again, I can tell if a big ~32" off-road tire is low / flat. I also rotate all 5 tires.

bjf

Reaction score
How can the system tell which is the spare?

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can the system tell which is the spare?
The system utilizes a second set of sensors located at each corner and spare bay to detect the TPMS reading. My spare bay sensor was successfully turned off by the Dealer. I don't have the IID Tool so I can't confirm Humberto's issue. My full size spare is kept around 15 psi and I do not get the low pressure warning.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the TPMS initiators / antennas located inside each rear wheel well can also detect frequency and tire pressure / temperature information from the sensor in the spare wheel, if that wheel is equipped with a sensor.

bjf

Reaction score
My truck is a 2010. If the warning light only goes on for 10 seconds I can live with it

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM