Exhaust smell - Brand new LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

weingarm

Reaction score
Just picked up the my 2011 LR4 LUX. Love it!

Only 25 miles on the ODO so far but when I got home from the dealer, I noticed a rather "acrid" smell from the exhaust. Might just be normal exhaust fumes from the brand new engine, not sure though. Possibly just "burning off" the new coatings inside the engine/exhaust pipes? It's about 35 degrees here, so of course there was the typical increased amount of condensation vapors coming from the tailpipes.

Has anyone else noted this after their first few miles with their new LR4? Or should I just get used to it? Does it improve with more miles?

weingarm

Reaction score
Here's some photos of the family vehicles and the LR4!

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That smell is totally normal, it's coatings burning off the motor, it'll go away after a few hundred or so miles. I believe it's a protective coating for sea/ocean crossings. At least that's what someone told me. All of my new cars did this. I kinda like the smell, it reminds of how new the ride is. Congratulations!

Last edited:

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new ride. I purchased mine with 42 miles on it and never noticed any smell. Unfortunately, mine is not garage kept and this might be a factor but the only smell I've noticed is that ridiculously nice new interior.

Marty

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

I think this may have a lot to do with the time of year. I bought mine in the summer and the smell was gone within the first couple of days. It was around 100 degrees when we picked ours up with 27 miles on it. We had to drive it home from Omaha that day and I would say it got most of it burned off in those temps and speed. We hardly noticed it.

Since it is winter time, (now technically spring) the temps are low and it may take a while to burn the cosmoline (the protective stuff) off. I would say if you still smell something in a week, it might be time to figure out what it is.

Rob

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found it - it's called cosmoline coating, it's put onto the engine and transmission at the factory to avoid corrosion during shipping. There are tons of references to this on the Internet about this smell/coating and it’s worth reading more about it if you have the time.

ChronicTeutonic

Reaction score
Got mine with 7 miles on the clock and had not only smell but a large amount of smoke from the exhaust system. It cleared up by 20 miles and everything has been fine since.

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep had the same issue. It was gone after the first couple days of driving. Congrats on the new ride. You will love it.

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way... nice taste in vehicles. All 3. Is the middle one the A3? My fiance drives the Q5 and it is a great car we love it. But she is jealous every morning when she drives off in that instead of the LR!! Ha ha.

weingarm

Reaction score
The middle car is a 2009 Audi A4 Avant. It's my wife's car and she loves it. I don't think she's jealous of not getting to drive the LR4 - she's more of a "smaller" car kind of woman.

And the other car is a 2008 BMW 335xi coupe - blast to drive, but it just doesn't cut it when you have two car seats in the back. The LR4 replaced the BMW- which just came off a 3 year lease. The BMW went back to the dealer on May 5th.

Someday I'll consider getting a "toy" car - a roadster just for fun. Perhaps a used Porsche Boxter or BMW Z4, which can be fairly cheap if it's 2 or 3 years old.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99