Experience installing short roof rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering installing the short roof rails to allow for use of a Thule cargo system. It looks like the standard black or even the "bright" roof rails would work. If you have a suggestion on the appearance of black vs. bright, I'd like to hear it. I have an Ipanema Sand with the 20" gloss black wheels.

Does anyone have experience with installing either? If so, please share.

Thanks

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the bright silver short roof rails on my LR4 (Orkney Grey), and they work great with my Thule Cascade cargo box (about 6 years old). Short rails work fine since you want to mount the roof box as far to the rear of the car as possible. I actually ordered them in black from the dealer when I bought the LR4, but they delivered it to me with the bright rails by accident (which cost a few dollars more, although they obviously didn't charge me extra). To be honest, I think I now like them a little better in bright finish (a touch dressier than the all black roof racks I've seen on the road), but I don't think you can go wrong either way.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's all personal preference. i went with black rails for my black car because it's stealthier. i think the long bars have more slots you can use for the cross bars but it's more about the looks. installation is really easy. i installed the long bars myself in an hour.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I chose the silver rails. My thought was that with repeated installation and removal of rooftop accessories that the finish on black roof rails would be scratched and after a while they'd look a little tatty.

I had the dealer install the rails. In the process they broke the roof glass. Twice. I have previously advised that owners just pony up and pay for the dealer install, because if the roof glass is broken, it's on the dealer to replace it. But after seeing a video of the installation made and graciously shared by LR Forum member rostov, I'm confident that it falls in the DIY category. Watch it and decide for yourself if it's something you're comfortable with.

LR4 Roof Rail Install 02_21_2012 Part 1 VVR - YouTube

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have silver (Arctic white LR4), and installed them myself. I originally wanted black, but found a deal on a set of silver ones on e-bay and picked them up. I'm happy with the silver rails, and probably would have been equally happy with black.

CaptainSpalding - you are absolutely correct that this is a DIY job for anyone who is even remotely handy. How the dealer broke your glass twice, I have no idea. That just supports my opinion of dealer "technicians."

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
How the dealer broke your glass twice, I have no idea. That just supports my opinion of dealer "technicians."
Evidently there are some spacers (washers) that are supposed to be installed underneath the rails. If they are omitted, when the screws are tightened the glass can crack.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got black short rails on my Santorini Black truck. Truth is, you can't really see them very well from the ground anyway, so it won't make a big difference. The black matches the black window trim and antenna, but I'm sure either is fine.

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the drainage tracks get removed and cut when installing the short roof rails as is shown in the video for the extended roof rails or do the short roof rails mount over the top of the drainage track somehow?

Thanks again for your great comments.

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the drainage tracks get removed and cut when installing the short roof rails as is shown in the video for the extended roof rails or do the short roof rails mount over the top of the drainage track somehow?

Thanks again for your great comments.

Yes, you have to remove and trim the tracks when installing short rails.

Asilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread but does anybody have the specs on the spacers that go beneath the rails on installation? I ordered an extended kit through ebay and these were not included.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72