Fitting 305/60/18 or 295/55/20 tires...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

(V)aniac

Reaction score
Hey,
Just bought a 2012 LR4 and I am new to this site. I need bigger tires so I can use the vehicle the way it's intended to be used. I plan on installing the IIDTool and Johnson Rods and I plan on replacing the 19" wheels...just haven't decided whether to go with 18" or 20". Ideally, I would like to fit either a 305/60/18 or a 295/55/20 tire. My questions are thus:
***305/60/18 TIRES:
- Can I run the 305's with compo wheels without modifications?
- Has anyone run this size tire? If so, what mods did you have to do and were they extensive?
- Will spacers help eliminate additional modifications?

***295/55/20 TIRES:
- Can I run the OEM 20" wheels with the 295/55/20 tires?
- Has anyone run this setup with 20" OEM wheels?
- Where modifications required?
- What were the modifications and how extensive were they?
- Will spacers help with eliminating modifications?

On a separate but related note I read somewhere that someone was running 285/55/20 tires on 20" OEM wheels and required no modifications. Can anyone verify this? Essentially, I want to run the biggest tires possible with minimal modifications. I'm willing to do the modifications myself but definitely do not have the shop tools needed to do major mods. Also, does anyone know of a shop in Notthern California that specializes on LandRovers and implements these types of modifications. Any input or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and keep the rubber side down! Happy Holidays!
-Rich

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither of those would fit without modifications. As discussed in the past, any tire with a diameter larger than 31.5" is not a good idea on the LR4 (not without mods, anyway.) At nearly 33" in dia. and with such a wide footprint, both of those choices would rub - big time - in a variety of places when steering or under full compression. The spare would not fit under the car. And, as far as the 18s are concerned, you could not safely mount them on a set of 8x18 Compos (that size tire requires a 8.5 to 11" rim width, so you'd be hard pressed to even find a reputable tire store willing to mount them.)

Last edited:

(V)aniac

Reaction score
Neither of those would fit without modifications. As discussed in the past, any tire with a diameter larger than 31.5" is not a good idea on the LR4 (not without mods, anyway.) At nearly 33" in dia. and with such a wide footprint, both of those choices would rub - big time - in a variety of places when steering or under full compression. The spare would not fit under the car. And, as far as the 18s are concerned, you could not safely mount them on a set of 8x18 Compos (that size tire requires a 8.5 to 11" rim width, so you'd be hard pressed to even find a reputable tire store willing to mount them.)

Hey Umberto,

Thanks for the input! Do have any idea of what modifications we are talking about for the 305/60-18's or the 295/55-20's? As mentioned in my original post, I read that a 285/55-20 will fit without mods if mounted in conjunction with IID and Rods, can you or anyone else for that matter confirm this?

Also, does anyone know of a shop in Northern Cali that works on Land Rovers that modifies LR4's in the capacity that i have mentioned? Thanks!

-Rich

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Rich

Not sure where you got your info. The wider the tire is the more you'll be having rubbing issues. With a tire as wide as a 305 (not sure why you would want to go this big) you'll be rubbing against the frame horns but also the wheel wells and most of the suspension components and other parts too. The LR4 was designed to accommodate a 255/55R19. I run 265/65R18 and it's already pushing it.
Someone was running 275/65R18 and had to do lots of mods.
The only person that runs a mud tire in 20 is Nasdiesel. You may want to contact him.
Someone in Austria (Floda) runs or ran 33s and he had an extensive list of mods.

Do your research and check old posts. You'll find out that your quest is going to be a difficult one.

(V)aniac

Reaction score
Do you think I can get the 295/55/20's to work if I grinded the bump stop, molded and/or cut the plastic well covers and installed wheel spacers or mounted a wheel with a deeper offset? How about the 285/55/20's?

I'm reading that members are running 275/55/20's without modifications aside from Johnson Rods. 285's aren't much bigger than 275's and I'm just wondering which modifications aside from what I mentioned will be required. I will be running both Rods and IID. Thanks for any forthcoming info and entertaining my newb questions. Your appreciated. :)

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the point we are trying to make is that your sizes are so much different than what 99% of the LR4 community use, you are going to be hard pressed to find much useful information here. There is quite a bit of info on tires and fitment on this forum if you do a couple simple searches.

Bottom line is, the biggest size most people go with without mods are 265/65/18 and 285/60/18 (31.56 inch and 31.46 inch diameters respectively). Your proposed sizes are significantly bigger in both width and diameter and would require extensive modifications. These would include grinding frame horns, cutting plastic arches, and possible AC line relocation in the rear passenger wheel well. I can only assume further mods will be required for the 305 width (12.01 inch wide) tire. I have never heard of anyone using this wide of a footprint!

Here's a quick size chart for the stock, usual upgraded sizes, and your proposed sizes:

Attachments

• Tires.jpg
    Tires.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

(V)aniac

Reaction score
Thanks for you response. :) Not to be repetitive and annoying but does this hold true for the 285/55/20? I read another post from a gentleman who said he mounted 285/55/20's with Rods and no other modifications; he has no issues. I PM'd him and received no response. Can you confirm this? -Cheers

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be doable, but you will have to run with the rods full time or an IID Tool lift full time. You will most likely still get some rubbing on the frame horns when turning. (they can be cut though) That size is still over 32 inches.

Here's some more sizing for you:

http://johnsonrods.com/johnson_rods_2_004.htm

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be doable, but you will have to run with the rods full time or an IID Tool lift full time. You will most likely still get some rubbing on the frame horns when turning. (they can be cut though) That size is still over 32 inches.

Here's some more sizing for you:

http://johnsonrods.com/johnson_rods_2_004.htm

You're correct. The frame horns and wheels will still be an issue. By the way, the IIDTool only allows me to go 37mm further up than normal. That isn't much but that is the safe spot for my particular vehicle.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, your lift with an IID Tool varies by each individual truck's tolerances. I managed to get 43mm out of mine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM