For those that offroad their LR4...a few questions before I pull the trigger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gives it strength along the long axis and makes it drain better. Same with the other side sliders, he put in drain holes in the compressor bump. I also had all of my stuff spray metalized (like galvanizing) So that even if the powder coat is scraped off they won't rust that easily. @mbw would you say that a .25" cut would be enough clearance on that?

I need to go back and clean it up more, I cut it while it was mounted... but I just cut some off the back of the gas skid and it seemed fine. I'd like a little more clearance actually.. and I want to make sure I have a good thick coat of protection now that I cut off the galvanized protection along that edge. I used a 1/4" longer bolt for the skid. The gas skid actually is still a little higher and meets up nicely with the diff skid. Doesn't look awkward or wrong even though the gas skid is 1/4" lower right there.

IMG_20190518_141519-XL.jpg

Sent you a dm on this. Thanks again for bringing the up

Last edited:

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well....the deal is done. 2013 LR4 LUX with the HD package, 86kmi. It is a 1 owner car serviced religiously at the local JLR dealer it's entire life so I have a complete set of service records. I found it by accident last weekend and managed to make a deal on it before it hit the listings or if would have been gone quickly (as I have seen around here lately). Near as I can tell, it was priced about 4k below market value....which is strange because it was on a dealer lot.

It will be a week or so before I can complete the transaction and pick it up - they are apparently waiting on some title work. I got to see it before it went in to detail which I like because you can get a far better feel for a how a car was maintained when you see it in that state. Pretty stoked and now it is a bit of a waiting game.

Regarding the rods....I saw a "complete kit" on L8's site that includes the spacers, straps and rods. I ASSumed that would be all I need in that regard.

Yep. If you get that "complete kit" it has all the necessary parts. Spacers, Rods, Limit straps, and strap brackets for the rear limit straps.

Congrats on the new ride. I would expect you will be very pleased with it.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the request of @iSurfvilano

Still not completely done with this, as I want the Asfir to end up sitting above the TR gas tank plate so it tends to slide smoothly over rocks.

The issue is, best I remember, that the front right side Asfir bolt is designed to use the same mounting point as the TR plate.

We basically trimmed the Asfir mounting arm and drilled the TR plate to mount it.

I think some shaping work on the Asfir arm will get it where I want it.

20190521_203313.jpg
20190521_203313.jpg

20190521_203251.jpg

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is that a front asfir skid? that looks way different than my rear diff asfir skid mount.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is that a front asfir skid? that looks way different than my rear diff asfir skid mount.

No, it is the asfir diff plate.

i will try and get a better pic later today.

It has been a while since I have messed with it, but I am trying to remember what the shop guy and I decided on when it was installed.

I believe we trimmed some off of the asfir where it angles upwards to clear the TR plate, and then also trimmed some off of the asfir bracket so that it could be attached to the TR plate rather than mounting to the same point that the TR plate mounts.

Maybe a side view picture will show it better. Hard to get a good perspective to look at this stuff without getting the Rover into the air.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it is the asfir diff plate.

i will try and get a better pic later today.

It has been a while since I have messed with it, but I am trying to remember what the shop guy and I decided on when it was installed.

I believe we trimmed some off of the asfir where it angles upwards to clear the TR plate, and then also trimmed some off of the asfir bracket so that it could be attached to the TR plate rather than mounting to the same point that the TR plate mounts.

Maybe a side view picture will show it better. Hard to get a good perspective to look at this stuff without getting the Rover into the air.

Oh, wow.. ya, i didn't want to do that. The asfir is galvanized too, I didn't want to cut on that at all. Just a small cut to the back of the gas skid is all that is needed with a 10mm x 50mm course thread (1.5) bolt (which is 1/4" longer than the regular skid bolt). It makes them meet up almost perfectly with the diff skid having a nice little curve and then the diff skid is only 1/4" lower than the gas skid. Way less work and it makes it so that the diff skid is un-modified and able to use the same mount point. The diff skid mount goes first, on top of the tube on the gas skid.

Its important that they both sit up against the body because that is where all the weight goes. If you have a flat bar from the diff skid to the gas skid you are putting all the stress on that little bolt in the gas skid.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, wow.. ya, i didn't want to do that. The asfir is galvanized too, I didn't want to cut on that at all. Just a small cut to the back of the gas skid is all that is needed with a 10mm x 50mm course thread (1.5) bolt (which is 1/4" longer than the regular skid bolt). It makes them meet up almost perfectly with the diff skid having a nice little curve and then the diff skid is only 1/4" lower than the gas skid. Way less work and it makes it so that the diff skid is un-modified and able to use the same mount point. The diff skid mount goes first, on top of the tube on the gas skid.

Its important that they both sit up against the body because that is where all the weight goes. If you have a flat bar from the diff skid to the gas skid you are putting all the stress on that little bolt in the gas skid.

Does that create an issue with the gas skid plate, or are you just flexing the gas skid plate enough to account for the extra depth of the asfir bracket using the same mounting point?

IIRC, that asfir bracket was something like 1/4 inch thick, which would necessitate a decent flex in the gas skid.

If you get yours mounted, please post it up. If you hit on a better mousetrap, I might redo mine completely. Wouldn't be the first time I did that...haha

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to be naive, but is the T4X4 gas tank plate needed because the OEM one is like a tin can?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to be naive, but is the T4X4 gas tank plate needed because the OEM one is like a tin can?

Yes, tin can... you will dent your fuel tank and end up with less capacity.. which is bad enough as it is.

If you get yours mounted, please post it up. If you hit on a better mousetrap, I might redo mine completely. Wouldn't be the first time I did that...haha

Mine is mounted already.. i will get better pictures tonight. The gas skid easily drops down more than enough. I just loosened the one other bolt near the back (the smaller bolt) and it naturally droops a bit. I didn't have to physically pull down on it or bend it or anything.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, tin can... you will dent your fuel tank and end up with less capacity.. which is bad enough as it is.

Mine is mounted already.. i will get better pictures tonight. The gas skid easily drops down more than enough. I just loosened the one other bolt near the back (the smaller bolt) and it naturally droops a bit. I didn't have to physically pull down on it or bend it or anything.

How did you trim the gas plate?

Torch? Angle grinder?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA