For those that offroad their LR4...a few questions before I pull the trigger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bogwhoppit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live off-road. Yes, down a sand road in the Pine Barrens. My LR4 doesn't see a lot of rocks, but it does get very deep muddy bomb-holes, massive flooding on the trails this past year, and sugar sand is highly abrasive. My suggestion is: 1. Gap tool, 2. Tires and wheels -265x65x18 -GFB A/T's, then stop right there. Wait and see what you may need. Plenty of people run with no bulbar, no HD (mine isn't and I run with Rubicons and lifted Cherokees all day) Christ, if a bloody Trail Hawk can run Imogene/ Black Bear stock except for tires so can a stock LR4 EASILY - Look what Andrew St. Pierre White did on Baboons Pass with 19" tires at 45psi LOL. I suggest you keep the weight down, and any armor you add, make it Aluminium. Just don't make the mistake of adding to mush **** to your vehicle to the detriment of your GVWR, especially if its a daily driver like mine.

If you need to add weight, exchange some weight, say by removing the 3rd row, and the second row of seats, if you don't use them.

OK time to eat my words.. I strongly suggest you add a winch/bull-bar to your must have additions. Just 1 hr ago I hit another frikken deer! No damage except for mangled tag plate and both parking sensor popped inside the plastics. Luckily this was a 35 mph hit. Now, to off-set the weight gain, kick out the passengers and make them walk.

Last edited:

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
usually I add lightness by chopping a buncha **** off but this thing is just too pretty. Point taken however.

For those of you who have them....where did you mount your ham radio? I have a small dual band kenwood I'd like to install but only found 1 place to do so...in the passenger footwell area. Suggestions?

Radio under driver's seat.

Mic clip on front plastic trim panel of drivers seat.

Antenna on TR rear bumper.

Wired directly to auxiliary battery.

20190521_203353.jpg

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK time to eat my words.. I strongly suggest you add a winch/bull-bar to your must have additions. Just 1 hr ago I hit another frikken deer! No damage except for mangled tag plate and both parking sensor popped inside the plastics. Luckily this was a 35 mph hit. Now, to off-set the weight gain, kick out the passengers and make them walk.

Ouch. Crazy how those damn deer just wait to get whacked.

Glad it doesn't sound too bad.

Rkymtnman

Reaction score
Ah! Split mount....guess it might be time for an upgrade of my old kenwood. Is yours the TM-D710GA? Love the "baked in" APRS. It has been so long since I have shopped for a new radio, I don't really even know what is available.

The reason I'd opt for an off road bumper is for a better approach angle, better recovery points, and I'll tear the existing bumper off in a quick hurry...just getting in and out of my hunting camp can be an adventure.

sorry to hear about the deer. I grew up in upstate NY so I know all too well how those things like to play chicken with vehicles.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah! Split mount....guess it might be time for an upgrade of my old kenwood. Is yours the TM-D710GA? Love the "baked in" APRS. It has been so long since I have shopped for a new radio, I don't really even know what is available.

The reason I'd opt for an off road bumper is for a better approach angle, better recovery points, and I'll tear the existing bumper off in a quick hurry...just getting in and out of my hunting camp can be an adventure.

sorry to hear about the deer. I grew up in upstate NY so I know all too well how those things like to play chicken with vehicles.

Yes, it is the 710GA.

I picked it for the pretty much plug n play crosslink repeat with my handheld Kenwood.

For those that don't speak HAM, that allows you to park the vehicle with it's nice long antenna somewhere and then use that radio as a repeater for your handheld. If for example, you decide to hike off into a valley where cell/radio signal is non-existent you can still maintain comms by routing your handheld's signal through the radio in the truck that is parked in a nice high spot where it can hit a repeater.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just stuck my FTM400 on the dash with the included sticky mount.. hope it doesn't damage it if I ever move it. I put the mic mount down on the center console near my right knee. 40" VHF/UHF ant is mounted on my ARB bull bar. Perfect fit.

IMG_20190406_170026-X3.jpg

IMG_20190409_165611-X3.jpg

Jermgallo

Reaction score
What brand and how did you install the long range fuel tank? did you have to replace the OEM tank? was it difficult to do?

Rkymtnman

Reaction score
I just stuck my FTM400 on the dash with the included sticky mount.. hope it doesn't damage it if I ever move it. I put the mic mount down on the center console near my right knee. 40" VHF/UHF ant is mounted on my ARB bull bar. Perfect fit.

IMG_20190406_170026-X3.jpg

IMG_20190409_165611-X3.jpg
every time I see that arb on your truck I like it more and more. Truth is, I have never been a big ARB fan....had one on my FJ80 and didn't really care for it but seeing this on your Rover has me changing my mind in a hurry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV