Front of the engine oil leak

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Krill, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Bogwhoppit

Bogwhoppit Full Access Member

Any news of the pumps replacement?

2. Krill

Krill Full Access Member

tightened the bolts/screws that hold it in place. need to pull the skid plate off to check it again. new pump was quite pricy so I don't think ill be changing it out.

3. Bogwhoppit

I tried the bolts tightening trick, alas no luck, so I ordered a new seal, re-installed and all is ok. Btw that FoMoCo part has now been superseded with a new one (LR082226) I did order this but I'll wait to install. Let's see how the old one fairs up.

4. scott schmerge

scott schmerge Full Access Member

Thanks for info. I too tightened mine with no luck. Let us know how the new seal works. I still have vacuum so guessing all that need replacing is the seal.

Did you drain oil? Just want to verify it’s necessary.

5. Bogwhoppit

The seal part # is LR012685 - about $13.00 online
    No I didn't drain the oil, I just let it leak out of the housing until it stopped, but I did measure how much came out. I put about 2 quarts back in after completion.

6. scott schmerge

scott schmerge Full Access Member

Good info. Let me know how the repair holds up. Will likely give it a go if yours is successful

7. gsxr

gsxr Full Access Member

It appears the primary leak points for the vacuum pump can be either between the pump and the oil pan/block OR from the front cover of the pump itself. The pump is p/n LR048796, although this may have been superceded to a new number.

With a new pump at ~$400 for OE, or ~$250 for OEM Pierburg, I'm curious what the likelihood is the leak is from the O-ring on the back of the pump. This O-ring is available separately (p/n LR012685, ~$17 MSRP). The FSM seems to indicate the oil pan should be drained before removing the pump. The stamped-steel front cover of the pump may have another O-ring seal but that isn't sold separately, and I don't know what the pump looks like with the cover removed - couldn't find anything on the interwebs.

I'd be a bit annoyed if I replaced the O-ring on the back only to find it was leaking from the front cover.

PIRB_LR048796_1.jpg

tonykudj likes this.
  8. tonykudj

tonykudj New Member

Same issue here plus alternator needs replacing. Have you swapped out the o-ring? What fitting type is it and do you have the torque specs? Also found what appears to be a water pump gasket sitting in the skid plate. hope it's the old one that just fell down when it was replaced. 20190327_191550.jpg 20190327_192108.jpg 20190327_191537.jpg 20190327_191455.jpg 20190327_192124.jpg